Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Have you missed all of the articles on how unbelievably fast Austin is growing, and the evidences that we can't keep up with growth? (traffic is by far the most outstanding.) Even so, the counties in Texas have little power, meaning outside of city limits, developers can do almost whatever they want and that usually ends up being sprawl in fast-growing metros. Are you sure you are not just chasing a carrot.... what will you think of Austin in 5-10 years from now? From what you say, maybe you need a city that has a stable population or even a declining one.
I have to say, I'd take Austin's short (but intense) rush hour and smaller roads over something like the newly expanded 24-lane Katy Fwy in Houston ANYDAY. Sure, you can drive through Houston at 55mph during rush hour on it... but it's a terrible eyesore. Wouldn't want to live anywhere near it. And just watch, in a few years it will be bumper to bumper anyway... just with A LOT more cars. The fact it moves fairly well now will just make people think it's practical to live 40 miles out of town instead of 30, and before you know it you are back where you started in terms of transit time. Just with a whole heck of a lot more pavement and pollution.

Anyway, I'm just ranting at this point... It's too bad we can't figure out how to make roads better rather than just bigger. But we're talking TXDot here, so no chance of figuring it out anytime soon.

It would be so much better if people would just move closer to their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The grass may seem greener but I'd personally be cautious about such a move. If you like racism/bigotry/homophobia, and ga eneral ass-backward way of thinking you can look no farther than Austin and the Hill Country. Perhaps it's just my own personal experience, but as far as regions of Texas go where you can find it, that area is #2 behind Beaumont/PA.

After doing trips through the US, I've concluded the Central TX "beauty" is highly overrated. I guess it's great if you're from Texas and haven't done much travelling, and esp as a college student. But if you're looking for a similar look, rock-lined riverbeds, similar species of trees but greener & taller, a cooler climate, a more dramatic rolling terrain, maybe look around E Tenn. East of Nashville or between Chattanooga & Knoxville fits the bill. And then deep east into North Carolina (Smoky Mts) is on a completely different level. When I go there I never want to leave.

You know even parts of Florida has rolling terrain in backwater spots that reminds me of the hilliest parts of East TX. Though I did notice how much cleaner the air is in that state than here.

Oregon along I-5 might also be another place to look if you can stand the cold.
I think your post is really ridiculous. I have lived in Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and traveled throughout Texas. My in-laws lived south of Dallas for some time.

Central Texas beauty isn't world class in the sense of the Swiss Alps, Sydney Australia, or the Pacific Coast. But comparing the hill country to Houston's 20 foot +/- altitude variation is silly. Decades of uncontrolled development in Houston leave Memorial, West U, and the the Rice area as the few areas of beauty in Houston.

Please explain why you think Austin is more racist, bigoted, homophobic, etc.. Just because Austin doesn't have a gay-borhood? Austin has a more noticable economic divide than Houston, but I don't think it is racism driven at all.

I agree Tennessee has some beautiful areas. Knoxville stands out to me. But the OP wants to live in Texas. Why would he want to move to Oregon, land of little sunshine?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please explain why you think Austin is more racist, bigoted, homophobic, etc.. Just because Austin doesn't have a gay-borhood?

Mainly has to do with things I've heard from people from there. Whether it's in public, by extended family, friends, acquaintenances, their Facebook postings, even former classmates from 10+ yrs ago, co-workers past & present. How many black people move there and feel uncomfortable? I can introduce you to some. It doesn't have anything to do with not having a 'gayborhood.'

It seems strange to me that no other Texas forums *seem* to have as many tumultuous, race-based threads as the Austin one. Maybe my perception is off, and maybe my experience is unique.

There are plenty of good, normal people around there like anywhere else but what I've heard around that region definitely sticks out in my mind for whatever reason. Don't fret; at least it's a distant 2nd vs. the Golden Triangle.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Have you missed all of the articles on how unbelievably fast Austin is growing, and the evidences that we can't keep up with growth? ....developers can do almost whatever they want and that usually ends up being sprawl in fast-growing metros. ....what will you think of Austin in 5-10 years from now?
Austin has no worries about becoming anything like the Houston metropolis. Look at the attached file below; a comparison of satellite images of Houston and Austin, on the same scale. There's no way Austin will reach the size of Houston any time soon. You could easily fit all of Austin within the Beltway 8 loop in Houston, and still have lots of space. Houston then extends much further out than that. If you think Austin is congested, look at the sheer size of the Bayou City, and how far you have to drive if you want to get away from it.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston to Austin relocation comments?-houston-austin-aerial-2.jpg  

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-31-2011 at 03:03 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,196,532 times
Quote:
Mainly has to do with things I've heard from people from there. Whether it's in public, by extended family, friends, acquaintenances, their Facebook postings, even former classmates from 10+ yrs ago, co-workers past & present. How many black people move there and feel uncomfortable? I can introduce you to some. It doesn't have anything to do with not having a 'gayborhood.'

It seems strange to me that no other Texas forums *seem* to have as many tumultuous, race-based threads as the Austin one. Maybe my perception is off, and maybe my experience is unique.

There are plenty of good, normal people around there like anywhere else but what I've heard around that region definitely sticks out in my mind for whatever reason. Don't fret; at least it's a distant 2nd vs. the Golden Triangle.
So you are relying on what some people say to conclude that Austin is racist and homophobic?

Hmm....In living here for 25+ years I find almost everyone here generally tolerant of just about everything. Yes we have intolerant people. So does every city in Texas. Austin's metro is NOT as diverse as Houston or Dallas. But that doesn't mean it is intolerant.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So you are relying on what some people say to conclude that Austin is racist and homophobic?

Sorry for not being clear, what I've heard mostly meant what i heard from my own two ears and interacting with people. Again, maybe that was due to bad luck.

The rest is what I've heard from others, a couple of black people who moved from Houston to Austin (and then back due to the racism), and one of my family members who has lived all over the state.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,269,680 times
Absolutely agreed. Anyone who thinks the hills west of austin with some short trees (many of which are brown and dying because of the drought) has clearly never travelled anywhere else in the country. Put it like this. The terrian in the state is SO flat and boring, that when some hills actually were founded west of Austin it was such an exciting event they called it "HILL COUNTY". Hills, something most any other major city in the country has. So why not "grass country" or "tree country" or "snake country". Its the most laughable thing. Everything around Austin is hillbilly country this, hillbilly country that.....OMG.

As far as the bigotry goes, you are right on the mark. Austin is one of the whitest major cities in the country. Many decades ago, I-35 was specifically built to bi sect the city so the mexicans/and blacks would stay east, and the whites would stay west. This is a trend that has actually spread up into Plugerville and Round Rock as well, as most the blacks in those cities live east of I-35 as well. Never seem another city so segratated as Austin.

And I wouldn't move to Austin if I were gay (or Texas at all for that matter). A few years ago I actually had a few gay friends in this area who ended up moving to Denver because of all the "anti gay" setiments in this part of the state.

I dont find Houston to be especially gay friendly either, but Dallas on the other hand, is quite gay friendly (especially north dallas).

Quote:
The grass may seem greener but I'd personally be cautious about such a move. If you like racism/bigotry/homophobia, and ga eneral ass-backward way of thinking you can look no farther than Austin and the Hill Country. Perhaps it's just my own personal experience, but as far as regions of Texas go where you can find it, that area is #2 behind Beaumont/PA.

After doing trips through the US, I've concluded the Central TX "beauty" is highly overrated. I guess it's great if you're from Texas and haven't done much travelling, and esp as a college student. But if you're looking for a similar look, rock-lined riverbeds, similar species of trees but greener & taller, a cooler climate, a more dramatic rolling terrain, maybe look around E Tenn. East of Nashville or between Chattanooga & Knoxville fits the bill. And then deep east into North Carolina (Smoky Mts) is on a completely different level. When I go there I never want to leave.

You know even parts of Florida has rolling terrain in backwater spots that reminds me of the hilliest parts of East TX. Though I did notice how much cleaner the air is in that state than here.

Oregon along I-5 might also be another place to look if you can stand the cold.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,904,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
I dont find Houston to be especially gay friendly either, but Dallas on the other hand, is quite gay friendly (especially north dallas).
I guess you got lucky in Dallas, huh?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,741,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yeah we in Houston are so unfriendly to gay people we even decided to elect one as our mayor.

I think this post wins the title of "most assinine post on City-Data" award.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Yeah we in Houston are so unfriendly to gay people we even decided to elect one as our mayor.

I think this post wins the title of "most assinine post on City-Data" award.
It always fascinates me how these city vs. city threads (especially Austin vs. Dallas, Austin vs. Houston, etc) ALWAYS end up as a competition about which is more gay friendly. I mean, I understand the importance to certain folks. But really, this ends up being like the top first or second subject people seem to gravitate to, despite the fact the vast majority discussing it are not gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin