Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM

18 posts, read 33,222 times

Advertisements

You should have no problem getting a house of that size for less than $300k in Falcon Point or Blackhawk. I live in a 2100 square foot, all brick, Scott Felder built home in Blackhawk which I bought for less than $200K, and it has great quality construction. This part of Pflugerville seems to be greatly under appreciated. My neighborhood is beautifully landscaped with large lots, good schools, and it is close to shopping. Moreover, one thing that people don't discuss much in the Austin area is air pollution. Austin is getting to be like most urban areas in the country, fairly dirty. The prevailing winds are from the southeast 11 months out of the year. Southeast of Pflugerville there are mostly farms. When I drive west on 135 to shop at Sprouts, I notice how smoggy the sky gets as I approach I35. When I return home, the sky looks nice and clean and blue over my neighborhood. Northwest Austin has air that is difficult for children with asthma, so it's important to find a "microclimate" that is easier. It's funny that the west side is both more expensive than the east and less healthful, but then why should there be any logic in the world? I'm sure that 20 years ago the air in Austin wasn't a problem; so that probably explains the disparity in pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:53 PM

18 posts, read 33,222 times
Pflugerville is definitely moving east. Falcon Point is a great neighborhood, right next to mine - Blackhawk. It's walking distance to the schools and to the shopping at Stone Oak - although I never walk there myself It's right at the intersection of two tolls roads, which some people view as a negative, but really it's a money saver. Using my navigation system to calculate trip costs, I find that it's much cheaper to speed along the empty toll roads as opposed to paying for more gas on stop and go city streets. Getting to downtown Austin is really fast to. There are so many shopping choices here, multiple choices for cable and telephone services, competition for electrical power providers, and most other services. So on the whole, it's a relatively inexpensive place to live with lots of choices for most things. There is really good healthcare too including a new St. David's Emergency Center in the Stone Oak Shopping Area - less than a mile away. Lots are really large 70 - 90 feet wide on average, with great trees and open spaces.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 PM

118 posts, read 296,184 times
We traveled 1500 miles to check it out and it is everything you say it is and more!!! We love it. My wife is American, but I am Canadian and we have lived in Can. for over 40 years. We are not sure how to establish credit here, but we have just sold our house in Canada, I am a week away from getting my visa. We will be moving down in late July/Early Aug. and can't wait. We are really hoping to find a nice rental in FP so that we can get established and get a build on in FP by next year....We have a great down payment and did very well on the sale of our house in Canada, but prob. not going to find a bank willing to mortgage us until we get settled in at good jobs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin