Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM

29 posts, read 89,268 times

Advertisements

I am going to start a consulting job working from home next week until early next year. Does anyone know of any company that rents out office space for one person? I don't need anything big, just a desk and printer/scanner. I would work from home but I have a 3 year old and know it will be hard to work with her around. I have a family member that is coming to our place to watch her while I work.

It's going to be 5 hours per day - I would do starbucks but would feel like I was imposing staying there that long. Has anyone had to work out of the home for a few hours a day? If so, where did you do it? Not sure what my options are...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Well, along the lines of Starbucks, there is Barnes and Noble and Panera Bread .

There are some companies that do office sharing, but I think that is a little more than you are looking for. They have a single receptionist who takes all incoming calls (all to different numbers) and routes them to you in the office or at home, if that is where you are. Kinda cool . The tenets basically get an office for so many hours a week, but you don't really leave stuff there, I don't think, and there are shared conf. rooms that you can schedule to use. Visitors would never know you didn't work there full time :P.

Again, not what you are looking for, I don't think, but might be something on a smaller scale somewhere.....

Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
It's called an executive office. Google will turn up plenty. You rent an office but share copy machines, conference rooms, the receptionist, etc with other offices. I had one for a year. It was great. It was in the building that got hit by the plane last year, actually.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:40 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Kind of what Trainwreck is describing, there is a company called BusinessSuites (Austin Executive Office Suites and Virtual Office) that does the temp office/shared office thing. They have buildings in South Austin, Southwest Austin/Westlake (off 360), Arboretum, and the Hill Country galleria.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinbound44 View Post
I am going to start a consulting job working from home next week until early next year. Does anyone know of any company that rents out office space for one person? I don't need anything big, just a desk and printer/scanner. I would work from home but I have a 3 year old and know it will be hard to work with her around. I have a family member that is coming to our place to watch her while I work.

It's going to be 5 hours per day - I would do starbucks but would feel like I was imposing staying there that long. Has anyone had to work out of the home for a few hours a day? If so, where did you do it? Not sure what my options are...
you can check craigslist as well to find small month to month spaces. Apartments are actually very cost effective vs commercial space.

bootstrap austin has a mailing list. Many of the business owners have extra space to rent out but with complete facilities

Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Try calling architectural and engineering firms in the area and ask if they might consider renting out some of their extra office space. The way construction has slowed down, many of them probably have more then they need right now.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM

316 posts, read 877,281 times
There are Co-working spaces in town for shared workspaces. Most of them are centrally located. Here is a map.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM

29 posts, read 89,268 times
awesome! thanks everyone...i found a spot on bee caves that is perfect.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,251 times
@austinbound44 Hi There, I'm wondering if you could tell me how you ended up finding your location on Bee Caves? I'm in a similar situation with kids at home and need an office space quickly. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Try calling architectural and engineering firms in the area and ask if they might consider renting out some of their extra office space. The way construction has slowed down, many of them probably have more then they need right now.
This post of mine is probably no longer true given the upturn in the construction economy since 2011.

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...ry-austin.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 12-18-2013 at 01:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: