Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:02 AM

355 posts, read 923,206 times

Advertisements

I think I'm in denial here, but the congestion, itchy eyes, and non-stop headache are signs that the cedar has arrived and it's time for me to start treating it.

I used to do shots, but no longer will due to toxins in the injections. The past couple years I've done a daily cocktail of Singular & Zyrtec from end of Dec. through about mid February. This has worked really well, but I don't want to keep damaging my liver/kidneys this way.

Any one have any suggestions about what works for you? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Dang...sorry to hear that. I've not had any problems since we first moved here in spring '08(MAJOR problem with dust---initially from our previous basement, exacerbated by the dry wind when we arrived here).

Hopefully, the storms tomorrow will be timed to wash out some of the cedar pollen, rather than stirring it up.

You are taking a spoonful of local honey daily, aren't you.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM

109 posts, read 161,705 times
I call Cedar Fever "the crud", because my symptoms are chest congestion, almost like bronchitis. I lose my voice, and have a phlegmy cough, and I wheeze.

I find treating the mucus to be key, because bacteria loves it so much. At the first hint of the crud, I take Sudafed and a Claritin. If that doesn't work, I treat it almost like a cold - I add Dayquil to keep me alive during the day.

Thanks for reminding me! I started feeling "cruddy" yesterday

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Cedar is not showing up in the Allergy Forecast yet Allergy Forecast | kvue.com Austin (http://www.kvue.com/weather/allergy-forecast/Allergy-Forecast-65020127.html - broken link) but I expect it soon. The cedar trees in my area are starting to show the rust colored pollen buds that the colder weather is bringing out.

Check out the information here on salt water nasal irrigation, that can help a lot. http://www.centraltexasallergy.com/hyptncsolold.pdf

Central Texas Allergy & Asthma Center - Allergist, Austin, Texas - Patient Education

You can buy a nasal irrigation kit (Neti-pot) from Walgreens. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...156467-product

Allergy shots can help minimize and often eliminate the allergy. I recommend looking into them.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
The brown pollen coating on the male trees is starting to show now. It won't be long before the trees start to shed this stuff.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:37 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times
I have not been feeling the cedar fever yet, and I am usually VERY susceptible to it. It usually needs to get cold then warm again for our first burst of pollen.

I think the best defense against it is to keep your windows closed, and when I get home from work, I go directly to the laundry room, take my clothes off THERE, and then walk directly to the shower. Pollen gets all over your clothes and you spread it all around your house, your couch, your bed when you don't shower and get your pollen laden clothes off as SOON as you get home.

Other than that, I take zyrtec D pretty religiously.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Once cedar season gets going, wash your car regularly! The pollen can really build up. Jay has good advice above. It can also help to bathe pets who go outside regularly (or even wipe them down each time they come in from outside) both cats and dogs can trap and carry pollen inside.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
I call Cedar Fever "the crud", because my symptoms are chest congestion, almost like bronchitis. I lose my voice, and have a phlegmy cough, and I wheeze.

I find treating the mucus to be key, because bacteria loves it so much. At the first hint of the crud, I take Sudafed and a Claritin. If that doesn't work, I treat it almost like a cold - I add Dayquil to keep me alive during the day.

Thanks for reminding me! I started feeling "cruddy" yesterday
I have exactly the same thing. Started a little less than a week ago. Dying.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:54 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Haven't felt it yet but it will be soon.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,820 times
Not sure if I haven't been affected yet or if the Cedar-X is actually working. I bought it last week and have been using it daily. Last year I was MISERABLE. This year, nothin'! Knock wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin