Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Cops time would be better spent policing downtown rather than phony DUI checkpoints that are really police fundraisers. I'm sorry for your loss.
Your comments are totally irrelevant to this discussion. This did not happen downtown, it was a home invasion and has nothing to do with DUI checkpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 04:08 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,649 times
I'm sorry for your loss, I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:52 AM

77 posts, read 219,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
Two: If you are a woman, or have a lady in your life, be vigilant, or ask that lady in your life to be vigilant.
Men are just as likely to be victims of a violent crime. Why restrict your warning to women only? How do you know this perpetrator would not commit a violent crime against a man?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:14 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin944 View Post
Men are just as likely to be victims of a violent crime. Why restrict your warning to women only? How do you know this perpetrator would not commit a violent crime against a man?
I think I see where you might be going with this - not sure the gender imbalance insinuation is necessary though.

This guy in particular seems to be going after women specifically. He attacked three on New Year's Eve alone in the same neighborhood and now may be linked to other attacks on women this past fall in a neighborhood near S Congress.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:35 PM

77 posts, read 219,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
This guy in particular seems to be going after women specifically. He attacked three on New Year's Eve alone in the same neighborhood and now may be linked to other attacks on women this past fall in a neighborhood near S Congress.
Let's say you met the perpetrator on the street, and you are a man. Would you feel safe around the perp? That the perp would not attempt to rob, beat, assault, or murder you? I've not seen any information to indicate that the perp would not also commit a violent crime against a man, if given the opportunity.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,357 times
Very sad that this happened. I would encourage women to take self defense classes and/or obtain their CHL and purchase a weapon for self defense. My wife doesnt like pistols but she used to bird hunt with me and she is perfectly comfortable shooting her 12 gauge which stays loaded in the gun safe at home. Shes also a light sleeper which i am grateful for.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:28 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,334 times
Quote:
Let's say you met the perpetrator on the street, and you are a man. Would you feel safe around the perp? That the perp would not attempt to rob, beat, assault, or murder you? I've not seen any information to indicate that the perp would not also commit a violent crime against a man, if given the opportunity.
I'm not going to spend too much time responding to your comments. I'm well aware of the fact that men are also victims of violent crime. But in this particular case, with respect to this particular suspect, the individuals he has targeted are diminutive and they are women. A FOX news broadcast interviewed one of the women who was attacked that same night and spoke very pointedly to the fact that she and Esme resembled one another in features and in stature. They looked alike and were both tiny women. I'm assuming you'd never met Esme. If you had you would know that she was one of the tiniest--absolute TINIEST--people I have ever met in my life. So it wasn't just about her being "threatened" by a perp. She was overpowered. I don't want other women to find themselves at risk.

Please don't try and make my post into some kind of anti-male tirade. I am merely trying to get the message out so that the individual responsible for the death of my friend can be caught, and so that other women (who appear to be this person's victim of choice) are not subject to the same fate.

As for all who have offered condolences. Thank you. I am currently abroad in Korea, but I would recommend that some of you do some research and think about attending a benefit. Not exactly to help (though it would surely be appreciated), but to have a beer, hear about a d*mn fine woman, and maybe make a new friend. Esme knew really good people. She was loved by a lot of fantastic, vibrant souls. Austin has lost someone very special.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
I really doubt the perp would attack a man. He's a total coward who only targets small women in stature that he thinks can't fight back. I bet any man could kick his butt from here to sunday if faced with him.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:

You are sooo turning this into something else. The OP is trying to spread the word about this atrocious, disgusting and very unfortunate incident. The title of this spread speaks for itself.

I read the article. She clearly was a remarkale individulal. May you rest in peace, Esme.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Feel free to start a thread about crime against men. This one very clearly identifies ESME, a woman who was killed. Sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin