Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:43 PM

95 posts, read 181,861 times

Advertisements

Ok, I read pretty much all the old threads I found on this subject.
I've came up with the idea that a device like roku combined with the hulu+ service will cover my family's TV needs.

My question is about sports on internet. The services connected to NBA, NFL (if any), NHL, MLS are quite expensive if I try to get all of them. We generally watch all kind of sports focusing on NBA/NFL and motogp.

Does anybody have experience of an internet service that can provide a mix of all the most common sports like you can find from cable guy (at a reasonable price)?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:27 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
We have a media box from western digital on our bedroom tv and we have yet to find any type of sports service like you describe,we like to watch it all from the fishing shows on up not found anything that will provide all...good luck with your quest!

Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,441 times
buy a roku box from Amazon, top of the line one. Subscribe to netflix, amazon and then buy any sports channels you want. MLB has a channel on Roku I believe.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Live sports are the way cable companies are surviving! It is difficult to impossible to watch a variety of live sports without cable.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM

102 posts, read 308,227 times
Roku offers NBA league pass broadband. It seems to be buggy though. Roku also offer NHL and MLB.

If you buy an antenna you can watch the NFL on local TV stations, sometimes the Spurs also.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Live sports are the way cable companies are surviving! It is difficult to impossible to watch a variety of live sports without cable.
Exactly... Sports (and the wife often hesitant to learn new technology) are why I still have cable (U-verse). You can buy the online sports packages for use via a google tv, roku, etc (google tv/logitech revue probably the best bet for one thing that will work w/ every sport service) but you add all of the costs together, you're likely at $700, 800 a year... might as well keep cable at that price.

Of course, there are always <cough><cough>illegal online streams<cough> but the feds just started making arrests on those last week, and they're hardly reliable/good quality.

***Edit - really (seeing the post above me) - the BIG reason I keep cable is I'm an avid Spurs fan and even if I bought the online NBA package, I SHOULD be blacked out from watching it online (I know some people are lucky in the austin area and are not) so cable is the only way to get Spurs games except for the 5-7 games a year on KBVO or KXAN.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:31 PM

25 posts, read 67,807 times
In my opinion, to successfully move from Cable/DirecTV you have to still have to all the functions you were used too, i.e Live TV, DVR, but just with a reduction in the available content. Streaming services are a good start but if your expecting it to solve the Live TV or DVR functionally that is at the core of Cable/DirecTV then your likely going to be soiled on the experience. I don’t think Roku or Western digital can do that, but in terms of streaming content, they are very good.

I cut the “cord” about 2 years ago after paying for DirectTV for 12 years. My last monthly payment was about $80 for 2-3 receivers, HD & DVR. The principle thing that made it hard for me to switch was losing access to DVR functionally for local channels, I didn’t want to pay monthly to Tivo either, the goal was to get as close to $0 as possible. (Just have the $9 Netflix charge)

The setup that works for me is I have a Networked TV tuner by HD HomeRun that gives me two tuners (you can have up to 4 tuners) that I can share across MAC or Windows computers running Media Center over my home network. I have a very small computer hooked up via the HDMI port on the TV, Media Center gives me a 14 days programing guide (updated free) interface and DVR functions for all local channels in HD (just initial investment of small computer + tuners + remote), plus MC has plug-ins for Netflix, and other free/paid streaming content. The plus for me is I can watch Live or recorded TV from any windows computer in my home (even from the Xbox, it acts like an extender), and the experience of the watching TV through the big TV with the small computer attached is completely transparent.

It’s just like my old DirecTV setup, just the channel selection is smaller, but all the functional of watching Live TV, pause, record, watch recording in another room is all there. That made the switch very easy.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 AM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
1080P and 5.1 channels can be stunning but sometimes I still miss these: "American Colonial or Danish Modern cabinet, sir?"

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well, maybe I'll finally be able to get the Longhorn Network.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 PM

113 posts, read 238,963 times
Default LHN not likely anytime soon.....

Thanks Greedy Cable Providers.........

Longhorn Network won't be available just like the NFL network isn't available on those cable providers. Greed prevails cable providers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: