Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM

2 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

Please help!! I'm going crazy!! We have bought a grey and white granite called Grey Goose or Superior White. We have a red chestnut color cabinets. What color of tile would you put on the floor? We thought we could do like a charcoal or black color but can't really find one that we like. Plus I don't know if it will be too dark. Please Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
How about a slate tile?

I am curious to see the replies. We are getting ready to redo our master bath, and I really, really want to use Carrera marble with dark cabinets. I don't want to use Carrera everywhere, but I don't know what tile to use to go with it.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Typically the lighter the colors are that you combine, the easier they work with each other. I prefer lighter colored floors myself, but that is a matter of taste. Get a sample of the granite that you can take to the store and compare next to tile samples. If you cannot do that buy a few tile samples and take them to the granite to compare the colors. Most stores will allow you to return the tile samples after you make a sellection. Some have color sample books they will loan out.

I'd look for a tile that picked up colors similar to the lighter tones in the grains of the granite counters or the cabinets. Note that tiles that have the finish color in a glazing or coating, can chip when something is dropped on them, exposing a different colored background. Look for a ceramic tile that is the same material all of the way through to avoid that problem. Small chips can be touched up with an epoxy coating material but it can be tricky.

See the kitchen ideas here for different looks, click on the before and after buttons. Compare and Save

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,762 times
Well now we have started looking at Travertine going with a light color with hints of grey in it?? Or we do like the Silver Grey tile. Still not sure. My next dilemma is do we put the backsplash on the side walls as well as the back wall?

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

27 posts, read 44,863 times
I just purchased emser st moritz silver 12 x 24 tile for my bathroom where I have luna pearl granite. It's hard to tell the color from a url, but it's a beautiful light gray tile.

Emser On-Line Showroom: Glazed Porcelain Tile, alpine

Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM

97 posts, read 417,818 times
Oh Grey Goose is so pretty. But, I did have an added sugestion so I wanted to post. Getting tiles running them home looking at them against the tops to see what you like will drive you crazy. I suggest a twist. Go to the store pick out about 5-7 tiles you like. If the ones you like are smaller than 12X12 get enough of that color to make a 12X12. Take the samples home sit them down on the floor out of the way but still viewable. Or if you want them as a splash due the same thing sit them were the backsplash would go. Then turn around and walk out. Over the next week use the room just like you normally would. You will naturally start eliminating tiles as you walk into the room or while you work in the room. Last tile standing wins!

And to the earlier post about wanting Bianco Carrara. Just a heads up. Don't forget it is Marble. Marble is a soft stone and it etches easy. I mainly bring this up because these days everyone wants unnaturally white teeth. So most toothpastes have some sort of bleaching agent in them. Down side to this is the toothpaste will ruin the Marble. Don't get me wrong I love Marble just know that if it is used it will take extra care from you or anyone using the top to keep pretty. You need to clean up spills when they happen and if the room is used by guests or children. I personally would go with a different product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: