Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times

Advertisements

The homeless are used each and every day in different ways for "studies" and I don't hear anyone complaining about that.

The one I'm reading about in this thread seems pretty simple and if it's true 50 bucks for what they're doing then it beats the hell out of what the going rate is for some of the things organizations or universities have homeless do.

At least the one posted in this thread acknowledges homeless as real people.

All my opinion, and yes, we all have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
I'm wondering how much microwave radiation these people are going to be exposed to? I'll bet it's massive. It will cost a lot if in 10 years all these people are dying in the hospital of various cancers.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm wondering how much microwave radiation these people are going to be exposed to? I'll bet it's massive. It will cost a lot if in 10 years all these people are dying in the hospital of various cancers.

Seriously? You mean if overdose, alcohol poisoning, assault, exposure to the elements, malnutrition, or 100 other various diseases, doesn't get them first?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Basically it's like a cell phone.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
For some background on my following opinion, I've been accused of being a tree hugger (I am a big fan of hiking, organic foods & recycling whenever possible) and a sissy when playing sports (ice hockey and wrestling - win with honor, not win at all costs). Anyway, based on what I read in that linked article this mushy-minded political moderate thinks this is a good project: homeless people make some money and do some useful work ---> helps their emotional state ---> creates more positive outlook ---> generates mental energy enabling them to look for a permament job ----> improves their life significantly.

and.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Finally, I guess it could almost be an advocacy type program....all these young, hip visitors having to face (in a non-confrontational manner) the fact that there are homeless people.
+1

Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 AM

709 posts, read 1,401,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Ok, now you've got me thinking about "WiFi babes"... it's an idea that could probably work!
This is what got me. Yesturday I was standing outside Bikini's Sports Bar on 6th Street (a Hooters with less clothing) reading the twitter feeds on my phone which was mostly people upset at the Homeless Hotspots, and not 50 feet from me was one of the girls you plug your phone into. Have you seen the girls that walk around that you can plug your phone in to charge it? They are very attractive, and for that reason I am sure is why the New York Times only focused on the Homeless Hotspots. Our culture is so used to objectifying attractive females and thinking of females as "hardware". But when it is unattractive homeless males then it becomes a problem and the New York Times wrote that article that created all of the national media backlash.

I really don't see how a homeless guys being a 4G hotspot is making him into "hardware" more-so than an attractive lady you plug your phone charger into.

It is a job. The homeless hotspot guys I met seemed to be enjoying themselves and having their job, and it is a shame they had to shut down the program and fire the guys because of the national backlash.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:08 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
It is a job. The homeless hotspot guys I met seemed to be enjoying themselves and having their job, and it is a shame they had to shut down the program and fire the guys because of the national backlash.
I don't think that's what happened. I am pretty sure that they were only doing this for a day or two anyway for SXSW. It wasn't a permanent job for these people.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
I nearly posted this yesterday to see what people thought. It's giving jobs to willing workers. Several of the people were interviewed, and they were more than happy for the opportunity. It's basically the 21st Century equivalent of selling newspapers on the street corner (although that still happens). If the people hadn't been homeless, then the bleeding hearts would have had no issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
If those wifi jobs hadn't gone to the homeless, they would have gone to 20 year-old interns. That wouldn't have been newsworthy at all.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
Wifi routers, like cell phones, do not emit any microwave radiation. Their emissions are on the radio (RF) part of the spectrum, not the microwave part -- and even so, a wifi router's transmission strength is (at most) 1 watt.

You could have a wifi router or a cell phone surgically implanted in your bum and you wouldn't suffer any adverse effects ... from the radio emissions, anyway (sitting down might not be comfortable).

For a frame of reference, amateur radio (that has been popular for what, 70 years now?) and AM radio emit orders of magnitude more (though of course there are more wifi routers than there are radio stations) but you could have 100 wifi routers going in one room and you still wouldn't be anywhere near the broadcast strength of an AM transmitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: