Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

I was just driving yesterday and noticed that there were almost no blue cars on the road. What used to be a ubiquitous color - that light to medium blue - is seemingly gone from the cars on the road. It seems that most cars fall into one of three color "groups": the white/beige/silver/tan group, the black/dark gray/very dark other color group, and the red and rust group. I have seen a few bright yellow or electric blue cars, but that middle blue car group seems to be gone. When I was younger, I remember thinking of that color as "car-blue", that's how common it was. But trends change, and now the blue is seemingly gone, at least in Austin, as I drive around. I don't really care - just an observation. I wonder if other parts of the country are as void of blues - probably so. I wonder if some of this is due to the overwhelming force toward "neutrals" in home decorating and real estate in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:47 PM

206 posts, read 370,273 times
Sounds l **** a lame part of toen youre in.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:59 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Well...I traded our beautiful Celestial Blue convertible on an Ice White model less than a year ago, so I guess we're part of the trend.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
It looks like black and silver are the top colors for cars worldwide!
Silver is the world’s most popular car color for 2010, black comes in second - egmCarTech

Only 5% are blue.

Found another article from 2010 that says that N. American car color preferences have changed dramatically. In 1n 1994, green was the most-popular color and only 8% of buyers chose silver.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 43,322 times
Do black cars get MUCH hotter than silver/white colored cars under that bright Texas sun?
And I guess OP should go to a place that has lots of Subarus. Most of them are blue, from what i see. It's like they are almost synonymous, Subaru and blue color

Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
My car is light blue. It's easy to spot in a parking lot.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Funny, the blue cars always got my attention in the showroom. But I was always too chicken to buy one. Instead we've had: brown, red, black, gold, black, red(current), and white (current) cars.

You don't really see and beige/tan cars anymore either. Seems like that was big for awhile. Too bad, cause they really hid the dirt.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:32 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
Most of the cars I've driven in my life have been blue. Powder Blue, Smurf Blue, Red, Burgundy, Dark Blue, Light Blue. I may have to break the cycle with an orange car next.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
You are right that beige hides the dirt. My current car is beige. I recently almost ran into a car that was completely hidden (to me - from where I was) by the fact that it was exactly the same color as the cement and pavement around it. That made me think about the color of cars (and that I will never buy a medium gray car) and that started me noticing the absence of blues. I have seen some Priuses that are pale blue or blue green. I saw a pink Mary Kay car a week ago, too. So my cars have been white, then rust, then beige, then gray, then beige metalic. Hmmm... what will it be next (I'm almost in the market.) When I was young, I didn't like light blue cars because they were so common, but now I'm starting to give them another look - although I don't buy a car just based on color.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Funny, the blue cars always got my attention in the showroom. But I was always too chicken to buy one. Instead we've had: brown, red, black, gold, black, red(current), and white (current) cars.

You don't really see and beige/tan cars anymore either. Seems like that was big for awhile. Too bad, cause they really hid the dirt.
I don't know...those come out on the weekend(starting Friday)...most notably the GRAND MArquis and the occasional Crown Vic. Cream seems to be a favorite among those. I see plenty of those in the older, closer-in neighborhoods as I bike ride up Shoal Creek, Jollyville Rd., North Loop, Duval...not so many way out here in north-north Austin.

I remember the mid-'90s teal green trend. Same for tennis rackets and bicycles...lots of teal, purple, little bit of brighter blue.

I reckon in the slightly more expensive vehicles, the 'polar' or 'cosmic' metallic off-white may have replaced the beige of olden days. Most marques carry a nice interesting white that isn't really white.

Here's a little something from close to the horse's mouth:
White ousts silver as America's favorite automotive paint color

Looks like blue is under 10% in a lot of markets. Last bright blue vehicle we had was a '91 Mariner Blue Miata...what a fun car! Our recent blue Volvo was silver in some light, a distinctive blue in others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin