Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide what to use on a bermuda lawn. Any advice on whether to use Dillo Dirt or Turf Topper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Some 'food' for thought:
Austin's Dirty Secret: Dillo Dirt | The Austin Cut

Old 04-07-2012, 02:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
I would not get dillo dirt.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,582 times
Okay, well bermuda seems to like it. I have neighbors that use it and have beautiful lawns. So, someone tell me why to use turf topper. I mean, we aren't going to roll around in it. Gross!

Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Definitly don't use Dillo Dirt. I'm not familiar with Turf Topper, but I do recommend the Natural Gardener's Revitilizer Compost Natural Gardener: Bulk Soils, Compost, Mulches > Our Bulk Soils

It is also recommended on the Central Texas Gardener Central Texas Gardener

Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
We don't use Dillo Dirt either. We don't use Natural Gardener mulch/soil, but we use something similar I believe.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM

97 posts, read 417,873 times
Last year I used Alamo Grow from Garden Ville. As far as I know, the same thing as Dillo Dirt but from San Antonio. I can only put one cubic yard in my truck so the plan was to put it on half my lawn one weekend and the other half the next. The change was so dramatic I took a picture the next weekend before doing the other side. So the attached picture is 7 days after top dressing my lawn with the Alamo Grow.
As far as the write ups, comments and opinions regarding whether it is sanitary or not, I could care less. Truth is, we make compost with our rotting food for the earthworms to eat and put that on our lawns. People get sick from all sorts of stuff at big events with questionable health standards and from dirty people and outhouses used by 5,000 plus others. There are far worse things we come in contact with on a daily basis that we never even give a second thought to the possibility of it being a health hazard. Now I don't think Austin made a good choice in putting it on a newly planted field in preparation of a big event but that's not to say it wouldn't be just fine for your yard. That is, unless you want to water it and roll around in it after application or eat it. You don't plan to do that do you? Am I saying the Dillo Dirt didn't cause the health problems? I have no idea. But if I were to put my money on something, I would think it more likely that someone got sick after a big outdoor concert, heard something about the City and "****" Dirt and had a lawyer jump on it asap. As far as the reporters go... Let’s not forget their job is to get a story that will get read. In my experience truth gets pushed aside. In reference to the "toxic numbers", yah so they found blah blah parts per million in some sample. They were well below the toxic level. I'm sure I can get a fancy kit, go into anyone's lawn just about anywhere and find trace parts per million chemicals all in it. Dog pooh, Cat pooh, Old batteries, pee, decomposing bugs, some diesel or fuel from a leak 10 years back, oil that was dumped at the back fence line at some point......
Attached Thumbnails
Turf Topper or Dillo Dirt-yard-after-dillo-dirt-2.jpg  

Last edited by scottsheehan026; 04-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Add attachment

Old 04-08-2012, 03:04 PM

206 posts, read 370,342 times
dillo dirt is sewage. dont get it in your eye or itll get twitchy and start bugging out. happened to my cousin. his cheeks starting gettin spasms and he couldnt walsk starigth.

Last edited by suit-n-tie white guy; 04-08-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-08-2012, 07:53 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
What about just good old livestock manure? It's a good argument (scottsheehan) I suppose, since people still buy Pepsi, Kraft and Nestle, etc...which is made from proteins (?) garnered from the kidneys of aborted fetuses that are supposed to trigger the sweet portion of our tastebuds. So we'll ingest that but not put filtered sewage on our grass. Both things leave a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin