Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird111 View Post
Where can I find a garage apt for rent here in Austin?
Get a free apartment finder. Accessory units are generally going to be in the pre-1960 neighborhoods, and they're often some of the better deals in central Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 731 times
I am interested in a garage apartment in Tarrytown or Rosedale myself. If anyone is looking to rent. Long term is best for me. My apartments just went up 200.00

Thank you

Marsha

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-14-2018 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: deleted personal email addy. They can message you here.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I have a relative who lives near Magnolia Cafe (of Lake Austin Blvd). I think her over-garage apartment she rents out for something like 1,500/mo, not sure. I have never been in there, but it is the size of a two garage and no more.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I have a relative who lives near Magnolia Cafe (of Lake Austin Blvd). I think her over-garage apartment she rents out for something like 1,500/mo, not sure. I have never been in there, but it is the size of a two garage and no more.
Ouch...glad I don't need to live in town(way in town!).

Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,194,492 times
Yep, if you do find a garage apt to rent, know that it's going to be expensive. It's been many years, but I lived in 3 different garage apartments in Hyde Park before I bought, and even back then, I paid a big premium to live there. Much more than if I'd rented in a complex (did that too briefly). One garage apt. I got from a friend who was moving, and the other two had simple signs in the yard that I saw by driving the neighborhood. These are the two most common methods of locating a garage apt. in central Austin. It was worth the high rent to me because it's like renting a mini-house with NO shared walls and you're usually dealing with a single landlord rather than a management company. Laundry facilities were an issue though. None of them had room for a w/d. I either had to go to a laundermat or use the main house's w/d in the garage below (if I could work a deal with the house tenants).

You need to drive your targeted neighborhoods often and look for "for rent" signs in the yard. Then jump on it quick if you see one. This is still the best way if you don't have a friend who can pass theirs on to you when they leave. CL isn't a great method because a vast number of people will see the listing before you. Then it's gone before you can even make the call. As others have mentioned, May-June are the best months to get lucky because of the UT students leaving for the summer.

Good luck! I hope you find one. It's worth the effort and extra dough for those of us who hate apartment living.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,828,697 times
We get a lot of them here in Mueller because of the special zoning rules, but they're in pretty high demand. Too far East if you wanted Tarrytown but they're newer construction here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin