Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM

101 posts, read 193,454 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Alabama. What do you call those brick miniature amphiteater pits you have on every street corner? I've lived all over the USA but I've never seen these foreign contraptions. Apparently they collect rainwater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicdad View Post
I just moved here from Alabama. What do you call those brick miniature amphiteater pits you have on every street corner? I've lived all over the USA but I've never seen these foreign contraptions. Apparently they collect rainwater?
You talking about the curb cuts for wheelchair access?

The are scooped out, and have a textured surface of red brick tiles with big nobs, that look kind of like giant Lego blocks.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
No, they are for collecting the torrential rain that Texas sometimes gets, due to tropical storms from the Gulf. They prevent flooding. As far as I can tell, the water just soaks into the ground afterwards, which is better than having run-off in the streets, as it goes into the aquifer. At the school near me, when the structure (I'm not sure what to call it) collects a lot of water, they have a system of spraying it out onto the adjacent land to help in the process of re-absorption, but I haven't seen that in a lot of places. I know these things are puzzling when you come from somewhere else. But they actually make a lot of sense.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:54 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,531 times
Is the OP talking about retention ponds? Although, I haven't seen many brick ones.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
In Alabama you have giant ditches on the side of each street which eventually drains into a creek or stream.

Here, we have retention ponds to catch rainwater. It would not make sense to have all rainwater drained out quickly like in AL since we get rain so infrequently. This way, water gets reabsorbed. It is a far better system IMO.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
The main purpose of the retention pond is to create an identical run-off rate from a developed site as there was before the development. The 'soaking in' is not the goal so much as the reduced rate of run-off which results in large amounts of sediment and contaminants reach the creeks and rivers (and the aquifer via karst features).

The more paving you have, the bigger your pond needs to be. Some of the newer ones are made to be 'attractive', such as the one out in front of CostCo off Mopac, where the walls are limestone block.

OTOH, I am not sure this is what the OP is talking about .

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 PM

101 posts, read 193,454 times
Yes, I'm referring to the "retention ponds" as you call them.

In Alabama, we have lots of rain and lots of mosquitoes, so we avoid letting water collect in pools like that. I notice you don't have many mosquitoes here. The Academy store here did not sell any bug repellent near the front, and when I went to Enchanted Rock, I did not encounter any bugs.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicdad View Post
Yes, I'm referring to the "retention ponds" as you call them.

In Alabama, we have lots of rain and lots of mosquitoes, so we avoid letting water collect in pools like that. I notice you don't have many mosquitoes here. The Academy store here did not sell any bug repellent near the front, and when I went to Enchanted Rock, I did not encounter any bugs.
Oh we have mosquitos, and plenty of them! Just wait, especially if we have a rainy summer. Last summer wasn't bad in that respect because it was just so dry - that was the ONLY good thing about it!

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Oh we have mosquitos, and plenty of them! Just wait, especially if we have a rainy summer. Last summer wasn't bad in that respect because it was just so dry - that was the ONLY good thing about it!
Ah, it's not too bad south of Brushy Creek . Those 40mph Gulf winds just blow all the bugs up to Celeste's house!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,590 times
I think what your talking about is a detention pond, not a retention pond. Retention ponds hold and keep that water. Detention ponds hold water for a small period of time (2-3 days). Like when you see one of the walls is a bunch of bundled rocks, or little openings or pipe at the bottom of the wall. They are the ones you usually see off developments and roads. Retention ponds store water permanently. Retention ponds have little fish or are treated and mosquitoes shouldn't be a problem. Detention ponds are usually dry unless it has just rained and don't keep the water long enough to have mosquitoes.

Anyway, the reason for them is to control flooding and run off of areas that are developed. Like if someone builds a shopping center or housing development above a neighborhood (Austin being so hilly this is very common) there is a huge risk of erosion and flooding to those below.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 05-02-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: