Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 PM

16 posts, read 45,414 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Austin later this year, and have been reading about the master plan and regulatory plan process for the East Riverside Corridor. On paper, it all sounds great, and would make the area a fine place to live.

But as with all such projects, one catch is how long will redevelopment take? It varies from place to place, I know--here in Hawai‘i, it can take decades if it happens at all.

So in Austin, what might be a realistic time frame to see the plans go from paper to actual bricks-and-mortar? Any past precedent? Any idea?

Thanks for any guidance and guesses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Fully built-out? 15-20 years. There are some projects done, some under construction, some in the planning stages. It is not just a mirage . . . but there are a lot of moving pieces. If you just want to rent . . . there are new places on E. Riverside right now. Buying would be riskier but not crazy.

Plus EROC is just a plan, there is a neighborhood plan, a city staff plan, and then what the developers want to do. The area is already heavily multi-family with limited parkland. Protecting public space is an ongoing issue.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Fully built-out? 15-20 years. There are some projects done, some under construction, some in the planning stages. It is not just a mirage . . . but there are a lot of moving pieces. If you just want to rent . . . there are new places on E. Riverside right now. Buying would be riskier but not crazy.

Plus EROC is just a plan, there is a neighborhood plan, a city staff plan, and then what the developers want to do. The area is already heavily multi-family with limited parkland. Protecting public space is an ongoing issue.
I would go across the river to the holly street neighborhood. A month ago there was a waterfront property for about 150K. Doubt a deal like that will come up again, but a block from the hike and bike trail (as it gets extended) will be a no brainer for increasing property values.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM

160 posts, read 365,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makana View Post
I'll be moving to Austin later this year, and have been reading about the master plan and regulatory plan process for the East Riverside Corridor. On paper, it all sounds great, and would make the area a fine place to live.

But as with all such projects, one catch is how long will redevelopment take? It varies from place to place, I know--here in Hawai‘i, it can take decades if it happens at all.

So in Austin, what might be a realistic time frame to see the plans go from paper to actual bricks-and-mortar? Any past precedent? Any idea?

Thanks for any guidance and guesses.
Soon. I would say Riverside will change dramatically over the next five years. We are talking about a lot of innercity acreage. There are going to be thousands of new people moving in there over the next few years. I would wait a year or two because it's already a giant construction zone.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I would go across the river to the holly street neighborhood. A month ago there was a waterfront property for about 150K. Doubt a deal like that will come up again, but a block from the hike and bike trail (as it gets extended) will be a no brainer for increasing property values.
Based on that price, it can't have been much more than a tear-down.

Unless maybe it was next to the old power plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin