Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,838,439 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering moving from Memphis, TN to Austin, Texas. I was hoping that you could possibly give me some feedback on how the young mid-professional community is in Austin. I have no problems living around an area highly populated with undergrads (18-24yr olds), but absolutely need to know that there are plenty of areas with 25-30+ professionals hanging around too, if you know what I mean. I guess I want to make sure that there is plenty of fun entertainment for mid 20's to 30+ year olds. Also, coffee shops and dive bars, any of those with mid 20's to 30+ year olds hanging around? Can you tell me more about this?

Also, how does recreational options shift during the summer time? I am NOT a fan of heat and just will not spend much of my time outside when it is blazing hot outside. This is actually the only reason I have reservations about moving to Austin.

Last but not least, and please do not get offended by this and I hope that you receive this in the spirit that it is being sent. I am a single w/no kids African American female and would like to know....

How is the African American population in Austin? I want to move to a diverse neighborhood and am hoping that Ann Arbor is just that. Do the whites, blacks, Asians, whoever, all hang together? Is it rare to see many African Americans in the city of Austin. I would like to socialize with ALL races such as whites and Asians, including my own. Is there a decent enough mix of race and various ethnic backgrounds?

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,224,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTN2A2 View Post

Also, how does recreational options shift during the summer time? I am NOT a fan of heat and just will not spend much of my time outside when it is blazing hot outside.
I wouldn't say there's a shift. There are a ton of people out running when it's a 103 out -- a ton, they are everywhere. And while not everyone is interested in being out in the heat of the day like that, you can't get around and be out and about even doing errands without noticing it, even if you ducked in and out of indoor places all day. And people here, on average are a lot more active than where you're coming from; I used to visit friends in Nashville often while living in Atlanta. Would you be prepared for 3 months straight of 100+ weather? Just from your above statement alone -- unless you have more details to offer -- it doesn't sound like a perfect fit for you.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,575,307 times
Quote:

How is the African American population in Austin? I want to move to a diverse neighborhood and am hoping that Ann Arbor is just that.

This is a little confusing.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
This is a little confusing.
Oops I meant Austin Texas. I am considering Ann Arbor too and accidentally typed Ann Arbor. Please excuse the typo, Good looking out. Thank you!

Last edited by FromTN2A2; 05-09-2012 at 06:39 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I wouldn't say there's a shift. There are a ton of people out running when it's a 103 out -- a ton, they are everywhere. And while not everyone is interested in being out in the heat of the day like that, you can't get around and be out and about even doing errands without noticing it, even if you ducked in and out of indoor places all day. And people here, on average are a lot more active than where you're coming from; I used to visit friends in Nashville often while living in Atlanta. Would you be prepared for 3 months straight of 100+ weather? Just from your above statement alone -- unless you have more details to offer -- it doesn't sound like a perfect fit for you.
Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you for your honesty. No if 3 months straight of 100+ weather is a statistical fact. Then no I can not handle that. A few days throughout the months I can handle, but waking up every morning for 3 months knowing that the weather will be 100+ just wont cut it for me. I love to be outdoors and that would hinder me from enjoying a whole 3 months I suppose. Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Anyone else out there. All of your experiences are much appreciated and will be helpful! Thank you all!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,224,756 times
Quote:
Just what I wanted to hear. Thank you for your honesty. No if 3 months straight of 100+ weather is a statistical fact.
Is it normal? No, not quite, but it happened last summer and the drought, so they say, is not close to over.

Last year there were 90 days of 100 degrees or higher. 100 Degree Day Information for South Central Texas

As for the other stuff, nightlife and what not, there's a lot of it here. There are a lot of threads on AA-related stuff too, so search for those, that info may be helpful. And outdoor recreation here is very big as people, on the whole, are very active. I'm not kidding about the people out running, playing tennis and biking when it's 103 either.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM

709 posts, read 1,402,930 times
Austin is young. The populations age groups you mentioned (coeds and 25-35 professionals) are both huge in Austin, and do mix, but also have their own areas. Rainey District, Second St District and the Market District of Downtown and south Austin you will find many of the 25-35 y/o professional types. Coeds you find more on the north side of DT near UT and West Campus. Sixth is a mix of all age groups, young to old with Red River being a bit younger coeds (though some nights depending on shows that is not always the case, but usually is).

For activities in the summers, Austin can get absurdly hot. Thankfully there is A/C and tons and tons of swimming and such. lol. But even though the heat does take some getting used to. After a while it isn't so bad and you get used to it, but those who have just moved to Austin from up north during the summers and don't know how hot it can be, can be in for a rude awakening! lol. Most of the summer activities for me during the summer are either indoors or involve going swimming or whatever. But I am used to the heat and other than last year it really doesn't bother me to much. Last year was really bad. The worst ever in Austin. Edit: No the 3 month straight of 100+ the above posted said is not based on any statistical fact. Average highs: May - 86, June - 92, July - 95, Aug - 96, Sept - 90 Can it get over 100? Of course, and it occasionally will.

As for diversity, Austin does not have anywhere near as many African Americans at Memphis. It has more than Ann Arbor, but not by much. Memphis I believe is like 65% AA? Or somewhere near there? Austin is like 8.5%. So that is a HUGE difference. lol. Over all Austin is probably more diverse with a greater verity having larger populations, but as you are AA I would just not expect to see the same sort of AA population in Austin. Because it isn't there.

Last edited by BevoLJ; 05-09-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
It's not really 3 straight months of 100 degree weather in Austin, it's more like 5. We've already had a number of days in the 90s. And it's still hot end of September- early October. If you can't deal with heat, Austin is not for you.

All the fun stuff you mentioned, yeah Austin beats Memphis... except for blues clubs.

As for Ann Arbor, yeah I wondered too why you mentioned that.

African American population is small in Austin, less than 10%, but welcome anywhere.

But no matter, the heat rules Austin out for you.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,147,709 times
Quote:
I am seriously considering moving from Memphis, TN to Austin, Texas. I was hoping that you could possibly give me some feedback on how the young mid-professional community is in Austin. I have no problems living around an area highly populated with undergrads (18-24yr olds), but absolutely need to know that there are plenty of areas with 25-30+ professionals hanging around too, if you know what I mean. I guess I want to make sure that there is plenty of fun entertainment for mid 20's to 30+ year olds. Also, coffee shops and dive bars, any of those with mid 20's to 30+ year olds hanging around? Can you tell me more about this?

Also, how does recreational options shift during the summer time? I am NOT a fan of heat and just will not spend much of my time outside when it is blazing hot outside. This is actually the only reason I have reservations about moving to Austin.

Last but not least, and please do not get offended by this and I hope that you receive this in the spirit that it is being sent. I am a single w/no kids African American female and would like to know....

How is the African American population in Austin? I want to move to a diverse neighborhood and am hoping that Ann Arbor is just that. Do the whites, blacks, Asians, whoever, all hang together? Is it rare to see many African Americans in the city of Austin. I would like to socialize with ALL races such as whites and Asians, including my own. Is there a decent enough mix of race and various ethnic backgrounds?

Dont think you would be happy here

1) Very few african american professionals
2) very very hot. If you cant go out doors you will suffer.

Recommend washington DC, tons of young professionals, good mix of all races, not too hot (although it does get bitterly cold)

Old 05-09-2012, 06:50 PM

Thank you all so very much for your responses. I guess it would be best for me to finally go and take a trip to Austin and just check it out for myself. It is sounding like I may have to cancel Austin as an option out though due to the heat. So disappointing because it seems to have everything else I am looking for.

Also, I am not looking to move to a city that has near to as many AA as Memphis...at all. lol. I just would like to know that there are not so few in the city either.

I am also considering Ann Arbor and am thinking that it may be better for me due to the weather. This search is so exciting yet frustrating at the same time for me.

As for as what one above poster mentioned, in a perfect world I would looooove to move to D.C. as well as Boston, Baltimore, or San Diego. Unfortunately due to high COL and a poor economy I just can not do it.

Thank you so much again you all! You have really helped me out a ton. If anyone else has any suggestions feel free to continue posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: