Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 21,572 times

Advertisements

My family is in the process of moving to Austin and are looking for some feedback from anyone who may have some experience/heard anything about these schools that would be helpful in making in a decision. Currently, we're looking at the following three preschools for our 2 year old daughter:

AUSTIN CHILDREN’S ACADEMY
12310 Ranch Rd 620 N
Austin TX 78750

RISING STARS PRESCHOOL
3307 El Salido Parkway
Cedar Park, TX 78613

STEPPING STONE SCHOOL
12301 Hymeadow Dr
Austin TX 78750

As a FYI, we'll be living in the Comanche Trail neighborhood around Lake Travis (78732). Thank you so much in advance for any advice/help/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,423 times
Are you looking for a daycare or a preschool?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM

772 posts, read 1,060,888 times
Do you have any reason to be in Anderson Mill area daily? These preschools may be excellent but they seem really far from where you live. If your work or something isn't bringing you to Anderson Mill, I would suggest considering preschools closer to home. 620 traffic is miserable

Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Do you need a full-time center or would part-time be OK. I agree that driving up to those schools will be tough. Traffic through that area is horrible.

For full-time, I would check out School in the Hills. It's in Steiner Ranch and pretty close to you. You will also be going against traffic, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Very good center.

I teach preschool, the only one of these schools that I have heard bad things about was Stepping Stone.

You can look up inspection and licensing reports of any school here: DFPS Search for Child Care Center or Home

Every school, even the best, will most likely have some infraction. Some are very minor, like not having a lesson plan posted. Be more wary of schools that have background checks not up to date, out of ratio, or caregiver was unsure of number of children, that sort of thing.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 21,572 times
Thank you all for the response. CarnivalGal...that website is golden . The reason we're looking around that area for preschools is because work will bring us there each day.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:51 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1211 View Post
Thank you all for the response. CarnivalGal...that website is golden . The reason we're looking around that area for preschools is because work will bring us there each day.
I would also advise you to not put too much weight on accreditation. They really don't mean much. The absolute worst center I have ever been in (I had to observe there for a class) was (and still is) NAEYC accredited. Some of the best centers I have ever been in had no accreditation at all.

A lot of bad schools get accredited so they seem to be better than they are. A lot of really excellent schools have dropped their accreditation altogether because the paperwork and administrative BS required is absurd, and hey got tired of dealing with it. And they don't need a piece of paper to "prove" they are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin