Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM

118 posts, read 296,241 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
We are working with an agent and are planning to move there for Aug 1st (leasing for 12 months).
We are only looking to put our kids in an exemplary middle school district and seem to find that either Walsh or Kelly Lane seem to fit the bill.
We are having a hard time deciding whether to stay on the east side in Pville...We like the fact that there is some growth and new builds going up so that next year we could buy in to the community permanently. However on the other hand there are some very nice leases on the west side in Brush Creek and also some nice resale homes as this area looks to be almost all built out in the area that Walsh services.

Do you have any advice for me, as we have been told many different things by many "talking heads" that seem to want to sell you a house in their hoods...lol
Some say don't buy on the East side, and tout their West side superiority.
Heck if we could afford it we would forget about the east west thing and go out to Lake Travis/BeeCave or Steiner ranch as those are what we found as some of the most beautiful areas but seem to be quite a bit more expensive. The homes in Steiner I am sure would hold their value well and the build quality appears really good, but you can get a little more home for the money (sq ft wise) in something closer to town.

Bring on the advice...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post
Hi all.
We are working with an agent and are planning to move there for Aug 1st (leasing for 12 months).
We are only looking to put our kids in an exemplary middle school district and seem to find that either Walsh or Kelly Lane seem to fit the bill.
From what I can see, if your requirement is only an exemplary middle school then Kelly Lane doesn't fit the bill because it's rated recognized and not exemplary for 2011.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
Personally, I like the Brushy Creek area. As you said, much of the construction is complete(ish). There's still quite a bit to be built in Ranch at Brushy Creek, and a little left in Walsh Trails, in addition to the resales that are popping up on the market.

The topography of that area is also a little nicer - there's a bit of elevation change, whereas Pflugerville is a bit flat. Not that it really matters that much, but it's just something I like. The Brushy Creek area also has pretty quick access to Austin.

I doubt you could go wrong in either area, but my vote would be Brushy Creek.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM

64 posts, read 131,842 times
As far as school district and things like that are concerned PISD is not the best place to go looking. I would find something in RRISD for better schools, or try the summit elementary area that tracks to Anderson. Do not completely rule out stiener however, you can find good deals there. And choosing to move to PISD is not closer into down from Stiener in fact. I would also highly suggest you look at anything that goes to McNiel or Westwood because that brings so many options. Brushy Creek is also a better option i would say!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl1994 View Post
As far as school district and things like that are concerned PISD is not the best place to go looking. I would find something in RRISD for better schools, or try the summit elementary area that tracks to Anderson. Do not completely rule out stiener however, you can find good deals there. And choosing to move to PISD is not closer into down from Stiener in fact. I would also highly suggest you look at anything that goes to McNiel or Westwood because that brings so many options. Brushy Creek is also a better option i would say!
Why is that? Are you saying that PISD is not the best school district in the area or it isn't a good school district, period?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,673 times
Northwest Austin is the nicest. If you go to Round Rock you are in Williamson County. I wouldn't wish Williamson Country on my worst enemy...well, I take that back, I would

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Northwest Austin is the nicest. If you go to Round Rock you are in Williamson County. I wouldn't wish Williamson Country on my worst enemy...well, I take that back, I would
Got busted by Wilco cops, eh?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl1994 View Post
RRISD as a whole is very hit or miss when it comes to school quality, as any school district, including PISD.

I'm biased. I've lived in Pflugerville for seven years now and really have no desire to live elsewhere. I have major shopping less than a mile away, easy commute downtown, and the schools have consistently been good. The older neighborhoods (close to "downtown" Pflugerville) have mature trees, greenbelts, creeks, etc. and are very beautiful. Housing stock is at a shortage in those areas because people never want to move.

Brushy Creek area is nice, too, though I do not care for 1431. In my opinion, both areas are nice, but it seems as if people just love to slam Pflugerville based on misperception and misinformation. The City and its government has been making great strides over the years while at the same time having reasonably priced housing.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
True. You can't just look at the school district. You have to look at the individual schools.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
RRISD School Ratings:

Round Rock ISD : TEA Ratings

Leander ISD School ratings:

http://www.leanderisd.org/default.as...bt.TEA.ratings

Pflugerville ISD School Ratings:

http://www.pflugervilleisd.net/dept/...acct/state.cfm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin