Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,291,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
Is there some law or TxDot regulation that requires so much? I would have thought that a short warning horn would be enough in the middle of the night - but often it just seems to go on and on
It is a Federal Railway Administration rule that trains must sound their whistle for 15-20 seconds at all grade crossings. There is a provision that allows local governments to create "quiet zones" where required, most often by the installation of gates that block all four quadrants of the crossing. This is the route that Cap Metro took. Problem is, those gates cost anywhere from $300K to $500K each to install, and another $4K to $10K annually to maintain. Union Pacific has no interest in paying for that, so your best bet is the COA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,911,289 times
Let the record show that I affirmatively do not, I repeat, do not have my panties in a wad.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,474,455 times
Didn't think you did! I used to get my panties in a wad about it until I had that experience.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM

658 posts, read 2,009,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I can remember years and years ago almost dying at a train crossing because of no horn. It was long enough ago that the train tracks actually crossed Anderson Lane rather than Anderson Lane having the bridge over them. My husband and I were headed home late at night and as we approached the crossing, I glanced to the left just in time to scream "STOP!" to my husband and we stopped just short as the train (which had not blown its horn, AND the warning lights had malfunctioned) blew past us where we would have been crossing the tracks if I hadn't looked left at just the moment I did.

So, with that experience, in which TWO safety systems (the lights, and the train being required to blow its horn before a crossing) broke down, I don't get my panties in a wad if I'm awakened in the night by a train horn. Better that than someone being killed.
You were very lucky! If you heard about the April 30th Metro crash, those are 2 of my Grandsons.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:30 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,704,751 times
I remember the accident...I hope the kids are okay, I never did see a follow-up saying one way or the other.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM

658 posts, read 2,009,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I remember the accident...I hope the kids are okay, I never did see a follow-up saying one way or the other.
They will be "OK" in time. When the reporters say "non life threatening injuries" that doesn't mean there aren't weeks in ICU and multiple surgeries (7 and counting on the 5 year old) to get back to almost as good as they were. These boys will be repaired but it is truly heartbreaking to see the babies and young children there with illnesses that are sucking the life out of them. In that sense my Grandsons got of easy.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,894,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
It is a Federal Railway Administration rule that trains must sound their whistle for 15-20 seconds at all grade crossings. There is a provision that allows local governments to create "quiet zones" where required, most often by the installation of gates that block all four quadrants of the crossing. This is the route that Cap Metro took. Problem is, those gates cost anywhere from $300K to $500K each to install, and another $4K to $10K annually to maintain. Union Pacific has no interest in paying for that, so your best bet is the COA.
Alot of states are just forcing RR's to pay the full costs , in Europe and Asian those types of crossings are standard I don't why were just catching on now...

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM

249 posts, read 492,935 times
After living for a year in a townhouse about 50 feet from a cargo train line, I've decided NEVAR AGAIN.. The whole house would shake at 2am on a Sunday, and even without horns blowing it was just unbearable.. While I look for a house to buy, I make sure to look for at least a quarter mile away from any tracks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: