Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Oh goodie. Another perpetual victim. I am certain you can do whatever you choose with good planning, resources and some drive. I moved back here with less than 50.00 and no job. And I figured it out.
No one is making you stay or chaining you to the bed.
Absolutely! Life is full of tradeoffs. When I was 18, I moved from L.A. to Seattle with two suitcases and about $100.Today that has the buying power of about $220. I took a crappy minimum wage job and shared a bedroom in an apartment with a friend from high school.

If you set your mind to something, make some tradeoffs, you will be able to make a move. That said, cost of living is so high in Seattle I am not sure you'd be happy there if you can't earn enough here to acquire the means to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 04:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Oh goodie. Another perpetual victim. I am certain you can do whatever you choose with good planning, resources and some drive. I moved back here with less than 50.00 and no job. And I figured it out.
No one is making you stay or chaining you to the bed.
Actually money is not the object. I am chained here. I've tried to leave several times and could not. Like I said I would if I could. I can not, literally, leave. I am housebound with agoraphobia. Please don't tell me medication, therapy, psych, yadayada because after 26 years none of that has worked. I am literally stuck in this godforsaken hell hole.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
You know, unbearably hot for 6 months out of the year or unbearably cold for 6 months out of the year are not the only options. There are plenty of places that actually have 4 season or mild temps all year long. Sure it may get really cold and really hot in these places at certain times of the year, but only for a week or two.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 PM
ITO

159 posts, read 373,999 times
I love the summers here, heat is my friend, go do a daily dip in Barton Springs lower the body temp and enjoy the heat.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM

95 posts, read 161,351 times
I moved here from Oregon (the drier, east side of the state) three years ago. Yeah, it's hot in the summer, but I've adjusted. I love being able to out on the shaded patio after work, and drink a beer, without having to put on a sweater. I guess I'm lucky in that I have an indoor job, but I get outside a lot, and truly enjoy the weather here.

And you don't have to shovel sunshine like you do snow!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
You know, unbearably hot for 6 months out of the year or unbearably cold for 6 months out of the year are not the only options. There are plenty of places that actually have 4 season or mild temps all year long. Sure it may get really cold and really hot in these places at certain times of the year, but only for a week or two.
Such as?

Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
My take anecdotally.....................

I'm a Native Houstonian, and 30+ years ago, I can remember standing in line at the River Oaks theater and commenting on the fact that the sign at the bank across the street read 99 degrees............it was about 9:00 pm at the time. I can remember (also about 30+ years ago) being at a friend's house on Lake Travis and it was 100 degrees outside. We all were incredulous and couldn't believe it was that hot since it didn't "feel" like it.

I grew up in Houston and spent many a summer day / night in Galveston and Austin, and even back then, it was hot.....real hot!

I also lived 20+ years in the Midwest. Dealt with terrific snow storms, ice, etc. only to experience hot and humid summers. Spring (or at least my idea of Spring) lasted about 2 weeks.............so much for the 4 seasons (which are overrated anyway)!

As for all the Californians............I also lived there for a while. Would always wish for it to rain every once in a while. It got cold at night (I lived near the beach,) and would be cloudy until noon. Winters were cold enough that I had to go buy a coat. And, the Pacific Ocean is COLD. There's a reason why those surfers are wearing wetsuits. I'll take "bath water" any day over the Pacific Ocean.

However, that's just me.............I don't like the cold. Some don't like the heat. My family would go up to Canada for an extended stay over the summer. "Snowbirds" come down here in the winter. Personally, I think it's easier to endure the heat than the cold, and I enjoy the many days of turning off the a/c or heat and opening up the windows.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:29 PM

130 posts, read 207,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
where?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin