Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM

155 posts, read 427,656 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! I've been on here before asking about housing. While I was offered a job in Austin his summer, I didn't take it. But it looks like my DH may have an opportunity in Bastrop. We're a young couple and our budget is low, but we can afford about $125K on a new home.

While doing research, I noted that $125k (and under) will buy a bit more in that area vs...say...Round Rock (another of our target areas). I'm wondering the cause for that. Is this market supposed to stay low? Or is buying into it now (while expecting to stay a few years) decent? Are prices supposed to rise any time soon?

Note: We're perfectly okay with suburb type neighborhoods--actually, a bit of space is good (we have dogs and plan on kids in about 2 years).

Another question, what should I know before moving to that area?

Thanks!

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I'll try and answer your questions if noone else chimes in. I know there are posters here that live around Bastrop.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:13 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Bastrop is a good ways out from Austin, hence the lower RE prices. We looked there a couple of years back when I was working in Pflugerville. It's a beautiful area and has a cute little downtown area. Our kids are grown so I wasn't looking for schools, but many of things I read indicated that schools weren't that great. I don't have any details or supporting info, but you may want to do some research there. The thing that ultimately changed our minds (this was before the wildfires in 2011) was that to get an equivalent house in Bastrop cost about the same as the northern burbs of Austin and taxes were also about the same. The downside to living closer to Austin is a commute. The 130 toll road would make it easy, but it's expensive.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Bastrop is a nice community, I would not hesitate to live there if I worked near by. Regardless, I have known many people who worked in downtown Austin who lived in Bastrop. I would consider it a great place to live and work.

You can see more data about the community here: //www.city-data.com/city/Bastrop-Texas.html

Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,639 times
Dayna,

Having lived in both Bastrop and Round Rock - I'd definitely recommend Bastrop over RR. Actually, we lost our home in the fire and now live (again) in Austin. We are in the process of rebuilding, so we will move back.

I also work in Austin, north of Downtown. From my home in Bastrop it was an 84-mile round trip. It usually took me 50 minutes or so each way. Of course, that depends on traffic. My hours are so that I can avoid traffic, so it's a long drive but it wasn't too bad. Heck, when I lived in South Austin - and only 8 miles from my work - it would take me like 45 minutes going south on I-35. When I was in Round Rock it wasn't so great either. That was like a 17-mile, one way trip. Of course, going north on I-35 was pretty bad and would take 35-45 minutes through traffic. The thing about driving from/to Bastrop is there's no way around the distance from Austin. Whereas when I lived in RR, if there wasn't any traffic, I could get to downtown Austin in like 20 minutes. Honestly, the worst part (for me) about living in Bastrop is the commute to work. Nonetheless, I knew that when I bought a home there. We were able to buy so much more home and property than most anything we could find in the Austin area. This was before the fire and it was very scenic. It's obviously not the same, but we're optimistic it'll come back. Plus, we're still young so we can wait.

Even though the fire affected a lot of areas, there are still places that survived and look great. In the Tahitian Village area (on the Western side of the subdivision), there are some nice homes that are cheaper. We looked at them, and while nice, there is a railroad that runs through that part of Tahitian Village. There were also some homes/properties that looked a bit rundown on that side. Nothing really bad, but on the eastern side there are a lot nicer homes/areas. We lived in the Circle D-KC estates area. It's more rural and about 7-10 miles to things, but it's an easy commute. There are some nice places there, and can be affordable, but there are other places that aren't part of the POA that can be somewhat unsightly. I would look at properties that have some deed restrictions. Having looked all over the greater Austin area (for a place with some land), I found that areas that have some reasonable deed restrictions are a good mix of limited restrictions that don't intrude on any privacy or independence you may want.

Bastrop itself is a pretty cool town. The old downtown area is small but attractive. Plus, Bastrop - in my opinion - seems like a rural town but it's not like Deliverance or anything. I imagine a lot of people commute to Austin. Actually, I know people do because I work with some. I really wish there was more opportunity for me in Bastrop, so I wouldn't have to commute. If you can find or have a job there, then I'd definitely recommend Bastrop. It's a place I really like.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_germ View Post
Dayna,

Having lived in both Bastrop and Round Rock - I'd definitely recommend Bastrop over RR. Actually, we lost our home in the fire and now live (again) in Austin. We are in the process of rebuilding, so we will move back.
Really sorry about your home

I don't live in either RR or Bastrop but I've spent some time in both (I work near RR). I would choose Bastrop every time - especially if that is where I was working. I've loved the Bastrop area since I moved to Austin and have thought many times about moving out there. But alas, my work and career dictates that I need to be near the city!

The downtown is super cute and even though many beautiful pines were lost last year, there are still a lot. Great area!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Just as an aside, KXAN had a couple of news items 'looking back' at the wildfire and what is happening now. Here's a link to one story and some other links following up on the recovery efforts. I also caught a 'teaser' on property taxes INcreasing on homesites where the homes were destroyed and no rebuilding has taken place! SOMEbody's got some 'xplainin' to do

Recovery: A year since the Bastrop fire | KXAN.com

In some ways, the fires 'feel' like they occurred just weeks ago! My thoughts go out to those still recovering from the devastation. Hard to believe it's been a full year.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:11 AM

8 posts, read 18,002 times
Thanks for the useful information, everyone.
DH is considering a job transfer to the Bergstrom airport area in Austin, so we have been looking for homes in Bastrop, because it SEEMS like he'd only have a 30 min. commute to the airport from there.
Is that still the case?
Thanks!

Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysmom View Post
DH is considering a job transfer to the Bergstrom airport area in Austin, so we have been looking for homes in Bastrop, because it SEEMS like he'd only have a 30 min. commute to the airport from there.
Is that still the case?
Thanks!
Depends on where in Bastrop, I reckon; but if 71 is running smoothly, it'll be 30 minutes plus any problems along the way. I've been in pretty thick traffic(lots o' trucks) as you approach 130/45 on the weekends. I can imagine it's not exactly free-flowing during rush hour. I'm gonna guess 45 minutes might be average unless there are complications or having to drive at the busiest times.

Depending on your experience, 25-30 miles twice a day for commuting might seem reasonable, but it's still something to consider with petrol costs and time spent. That much time spent on the tollway will cost a bit in tolls, but you're almost guaranteed a smooth ride. That would open up the search a bit to include some other small towns.

I'll bet some area experts will chime in.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysmom View Post
Is that still the case?
Thanks!
Google maps puts it at 24 miles and 32 minutes currently. I'm sure it is a little longer during rush hour.

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, 3600 Presidential Boulevard, Austin, TX 78719 to Bastrop, TX - Google Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin