Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
A few direct responses. Looks like 14 by my count.

And I'm not the only person who has gotten the impression you are wound a little too tight! Holding up a mirror for you to see yourself through our eyes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
People who get called out on rather bad behavior don't like it. I get that. They're inclined to be defensive, lash out, try to make themselves appear righteous and above it all.

But to those who defend a world where it's ok to watch and inform on their own neighbors for minor infractions rather than interact with and inform them - i offer no apologies.
Again asking you for something (since I'm assuming you aren't going to post the "nasty" language that was in the warning letter that the city sent to you so we can all see if you have categorized it correctly or not). Can you please point out where OpenD, CptnRn, or myself (the 3 people in the post that you specifically responded about) have engaged in "rather bad behavior"? It's obvious you're not talking about the neighbor who turned you in, because you said you don't know who that is. And since you have no idea who it is, how could you claim that they don't like being called out on bad behavior, and that they were defensive, lashing out, and trying to make themselves appear righteous and above it all? Or are you saying that myself, OpenD, and CptnRn have behaved badly in the past that you know about? Who exactly is it that you have called out on bad behavior that then lashed out?

And maybe even explain how these 2 statements of yours can co-exist in your mind?
"I like to play a little game when I meet someone for the first time - Vichy or Resistance? If he or she lived in France in the early 1940s - would they be more likely to be complicit with the Vichy regime? or would they be more likely to have become a member of La Resistance francaise and fought the Nazi occupation of France?"

and

"If you dont know them, take a second to get to know a neighbor, build those community relations that make Austin a better place to live where neighbors look out for each other rather that a more regimented and fearful place to live where neighbors look suspiciously at each other."

Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Speaking just for me, when someone posts that when he meets a person for the very first time, he plays a "game" of whether that person would be a Nazi sympathizer or not, then yeah, that pretty much rules out me wanting to talk to him for any reason at all. I wouldn't call it being "chicken", though; more just recognizing that he has a very a different mindset than mine, and his is one that I wouldn't particularly want to engage.

His point about telling him in person or with a note may have some merit (although others have made good cases about why they disagree), but all the name-calling is really something that I wouldn't want to be around.

Ok, I was trying to make light of the thread. I don't even know any of you enough to call you a "chicken".

Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
This has taken a turn from reporting neighbors/talking to them directly about water usage in Austin.

There are plenty of interesting arguments here that may find a comfortable home in a new thread in the Philosophy or Politics/Controversies forums, or even History, or Other Relationships (Do You Define Aquaintances as Vichy or Resistance?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin