Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And you know this how? I have to say, as an old hippy, marijuana must have changed a lot in the last 40 years.

My advice still stands - talk to the landlord about the construction noise.
Actually yes it has big time.

marijuana that smells like skunk - Chicago Tribune
If you think you know what marijuana smells like because you smelled it yourself in your possibly misspent youth, this news is for you:

It doesn't necessarily smell like that any more.
"Rather, I think that at some point in the genealogy of marijuana growing and development, there was a strain that came along that was extremely potent and gave people a good high and happened to smell like a skunk."

That smell became associated with a powerful high, making for a powerful marketing tool. A brand was born.
But the skunk variety is a dead ringer for skunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,777 times
skunks also smell like skunks...they are all over the place around here...

Old 08-30-2012, 03:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
To the OP,

Well, well, well... the plot thickens... wouldn't it be interesting if the stinky water taste and the skunky odor and the banging at night were all related... like say, your neighbors messing with the plumbing to support a grow house operation.

For sure there is something off about your neighbor's activities, and since they are affecting you, you are absolutely right to get authorities involved.

I reject the view that there is anything at all wrong with reporting violations to the city 311 line, whether they be noise violations, marijuana violations, or lawn sprinkler violations. And if I lived there, myself, the landlord would already have been engaged days ago. What are you waiting for?

I also reject the "Gaslight" scenario, in which your complaint is diminished and discredited by those who would have you think there is something wrong with you. If you are only experiencing these weird odors in your apartment, and nowhere else, it is highly unlikely that illness is the cause.

I would not wait. Do something about it now.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Live and let live!

It is not harming you!
It didn't steal from you either.

So, you get a little sweet smell.
I could cook some food, that will run you out of the building, from the smell!
Let me get some sauerkraut, going and I bet you would complain too.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Once upon a time my upstairs neighbors were a couple of friendly dope dealers... mellow, lots of big smiles... a lot of smoke, maybe something else... and I basically looked the other way and tried to remain on friendly terms with them, until one day when my daughter found a couple of needles hidden under the carpet runner in the hallway. That's when I went to talk to them. Quietly. Reasonably. All friendly like. Gotta keep the kids safe, I said. Gotta cool it.

Within a week my front door was crow-barred open and everything valuable in sight stolen. (During a very short unpredictable window of time when nobody was home). Ditto my car, parked down the block, window smashed. Ditto my locked storage unit in the basement, that only they and one other tenant even had access to, looted.

Couldn't prove a thing. But their message was clear... don't mess with us! I moved out as soon as I could.

People who are smoking a joint on their porch, minding their own business, I would mind my own business, sure. Most people would.

But people who are engaged in illegal commercial traffic, people who are already demonstrating a lack of concern for others around them, people like that deserve no slack whatsoever. None.

Last edited by Debsi; 08-31-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: removed deleted post reference

Old 08-30-2012, 08:37 PM

73 posts, read 191,275 times
Police plain and simple.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 PM

363 posts, read 988,582 times
You could play mind games with them by knocking on the door with a hookah and a large pizza and invite yourself in.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Live and let live!

It is not harming you!
It didn't steal from you either.

So, you get a little sweet smell.
I could cook some food, that will run you out of the building, from the smell!
Let me get some sauerkraut, going and I bet you would complain too.
If the neighbors are growing pot, it could get dangerous. I am very much a I'll leave you alone if you leave me alone person. But the base assumption is that nothing seriously dangerous or illegal is going on.

A true story. In the mid-1980s not long after I moved to Austin I lived in a duplex in the Lake Travis area. My neighbor was a couple that enjoyed partying after the woman got home at 2 a.m. from her "job." Man seemed to enjoy working on his Harley. But it was all good - no problem other than loud music sometimes. One day I came home from work to find at least five police cars in my (shared) driveway. It turned out boyfriend was dead next door, shot with a shotgun. Girlfriend was nowhere to be found. Travis County police told us it looked like a deal gone bad. There were 8 guns in the duplex including a fully automatic gun. I had no reason to call law enforcement. But it is clear that lots of dangerous stuff was going on. I'm fortunate neither my wife nor me were home when boy-neighbor was blasted by his killer.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:00 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phone man View Post
You could play mind games with them by knocking on the door with a hookah and a large pizza and invite yourself in.
I was thinking the same thing! UTBabyGirl, loosen up and join them for some fun!

When you become cool with them, ask them nicely to stop with the noise. Tell them it's messing with the chill vibe in your apartment.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 AM

77 posts, read 201,249 times
Here is the situation........
Odds are if you complain to the landlord, all he will do is send them a warning at which time they will probably become suspicious considering it doesnt take a brain surgeon to figure out who is on the other side of the wall they have been banging on. By law the landlord has to give prior notice before entry, giving them more then enough time to clear or hide any evidence of wrong doing.
Call the police? The police would more then likely go over and knock on the door (yes this is normal procedure). Once again, said tenants will have a pretty good clue where the source of their issues is coming from. If there is a strong definitive odor that can positively be identified as contraband, than they may do trash pulls, surveillance, or apply for a warrant. But other wise believe it or not police cant just kick in a door over a neighbor's complaint.
Bottom line, weigh your options and use your best judgment. Are these students who perhaps tend to over "indulge" or is there a lot of foot traffic or unsavory characters lingering indicating a more serious issue.
Either way as soon as you complain they are going to more then likely identify you are the source of said complaint. I would stick to a noise complaint which is fairly innocent in nature. If they are truly engaging in "extra curricular" activities and you have proof, make an ANONYMOUS tip to the authorities. You would be horrified at how many time law enforcement will mention you by name or specific location when approaching someone over a complaint or accusation.
Use your brain and good luck !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin