Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:43 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
I've gotta agree. While I understand pumpkins do not grow here therefore a real patch is impossible, I am shocked by what invented patches are charging, not for the pumpkins (which are, of course, always overpriced) but for admission and/or activities. Last week we went to a place out of Bastrop that charged $10 for adults and $7 for kids over 2 just to get in. There was a corn maze, a field with a large sandbox, candy and beer to buy and a row of port a potties. $27 bucks for this -- thank God our little one is barely 2 years old and we didn't have pay for her.

Or you can spend money on gas driving to Sweet Berry Farms with thousands of other hot, sweaty, dusty people and pay for activities and overpriced pumpkins there and tour guides that read from a piece of paper for school field trips.

In CO not only were the patches real, there were hay rides, corn mazes, farm animals, games etc. all for free and no admission charged.
Actually.......I think that's pretty reasonable. I've been to far more expensive for the "real thing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:57 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Actually.......I think that's pretty reasonable. I've been to far more expensive for the "real thing."
Really? $27 for a 20 minute walk through a corn maze and access to buy popcorn and beer? it's not like the corn maze was haunted or anything. We all could have gone to the San Antonio zoo for the same price with a coupon.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Really? $27 for a 20 minute walk through a corn maze and access to buy popcorn and beer? it's not like the corn maze was haunted or anything. We all could have gone to the San Antonio zoo for the same price with a coupon.
Yep ....going to stand by i!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
It sounds to me as though the mid-west, with its really well defined seasons, would understandably have more of a tradition of fall celebrations. Here in Texas, there is a difference in seasons, but it is really unpredictable. Here at the end of October, it could be 85 degrees or 58. Even on Christmas day you could have snow or 80 degrees, or something in between. Put that together with the relative lack of fall color and the fact that pumpkins are hard to grow in this climate, you are not going to have a really well developed culture of fall celebrations. That may be a hard thing to face if a family has a tradition of participating in all those activities, but they they will just have to find new traditions.

California also does not have well defined seasons, but they do grow pumpkins. When we were bringing up our son there, we had a pumpkin patch way out in the country with a dairy farm that we went to every year. We had a really defined order of things we did each time (got a wheelbarrow and went out to the field - got about 5 pumpkins of different sizes - came back in and went to the milking barn to watch that happening ..... other things, etc.) Rituals are comforting to kids, and parents like them, too. But when a family moves, sometimes the rituals have to change. But I do sympathize with families missing old patterns. It takes work and creativity to come up with new ones. I always wonder which things kids will remember.....

Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
It sounds to me as though the mid-west, with its really well defined seasons, would understandably have more of a tradition of fall celebrations. Here in Texas, there is a difference in seasons, but it is really unpredictable. Here at the end of October, it could be 85 degrees or 58. Even on Christmas day you could have snow or 80 degrees, or something in between. Put that together with the relative lack of fall color and the fact that pumpkins are hard to grow in this climate, you are not going to have a really well developed culture of fall celebrations. That may be a hard thing to face if a family has a tradition of participating in all those activities, but they they will just have to find new traditions.

California also does not have well defined seasons, but they do grow pumpkins. When we were bringing up our son there, we had a pumpkin patch way out in the country with a dairy farm that we went to every year. We had a really defined order of things we did each time (got a wheelbarrow and went out to the field - got about 5 pumpkins of different sizes - came back in and went to the milking barn to watch that happening ..... other things, etc.) Rituals are comforting to kids, and parents like them, too. But when a family moves, sometimes the rituals have to change. But I do sympathize with families missing old patterns. It takes work and creativity to come up with new ones. I always wonder which things kids will remember.....
OK...........yadda.....yadda......yadda....nobody cares!

Actually, the ones we went to in the Midwest were somewhat fun....depends on the age of the kiddo.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Thank you for the thoughtful post, G Grasshopper!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I agree Grasshopper. In fact, I love adapting to new traditions.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,795,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I second this!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Mmmmkay

Those of you "went to the mat for GG." That's OK. I understand! Or maybe I don't?

Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 PM

I can't STAND the Midwest! It's awful! Lots of drugs goin' on there! Some people have this idealized image of it and it's just not that way.

So glad I got my kids out of there because it's bad, bad................really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin