Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 PM

319 posts, read 610,236 times

Advertisements

As mentioned in other threads, I'm building a ~3500sf home in Austin and am wondering what the ROI will look like for an AC upgrade. Upgrading from 14 SEER to 18 SEER costs just under $10k for two units. Is it reasonable to assume that in a new home (R-38 blow-in fiberglass) of this size that we'll pay $250/mo in electric to keep it around 73-74? If so, then we'd save ~$100/mo and get a return in about 8 years or a bit sooner if electric rates increase. Is my math on target?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Not sure about your math, but I would recommend looking into solar. Lots of people here in Steiner have added solar panels. With all of the rebates, it hardly costs anything. And the people we know that have it actually have a surplus of electricity most months and had it pay for itself in about 6 months. We are looking into it ourselves. With new construction, it may cost even less money.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,291 times
That math just doesn't work. I have a touch over 3700sf and the peak bill was 161, kept at 75 all the time. Summer average is about 125, with winter way less.

The 18 SEER unit will likely fail by the time you see any return on the $10k. Put that money somewhere else.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM

49 posts, read 101,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Not sure about your math, but I would recommend looking into solar. Lots of people here in Steiner have added solar panels. With all of the rebates, it hardly costs anything. And the people we know that have it actually have a surplus of electricity most months and had it pay for itself in about 6 months. We are looking into it ourselves. With new construction, it may cost even less money.
I just got a 5kW PV system earlier this year. There is no way a decently-sized solar system can pay for itself in 6 months! Try 9-11 years, maybe less if elec. rates increase dramatically or solar costs decrease significantly.

btw - the city recently decreased the rebate from $2.50/W to $2W (but federal rebate is still same @ 30% after city rebate).

Electric rates and solar PV credits change starting next month. PV credits are almost quadrupling.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclimber99 View Post
I just got a 5kW PV system earlier this year. There is no way a decently-sized solar system can pay for itself in 6 months! Try 9-11 years, maybe less if elec. rates increase dramatically or solar costs decrease significantly.

btw - the city recently decreased the rebate from $2.50/W to $2W (but federal rebate is still same @ 30% after city rebate).

Electric rates and solar PV credits change starting next month. PV credits are almost quadrupling.
I'm just going by what I was told. She said after all the rebates and such (they put it in at the beginning of this year), that it only cost them about $3000 out-of-pocket.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 AM

49 posts, read 101,206 times
Quote:
I'm just going by what I was told. She said after all the rebates and such (they put it in at the beginning of this year), that it only cost them about $3000 out-of-pocket.
If Steiner Ranch is served by COA then I got the same rebate they did - $2.50/W (and total Watts is efficiency of the inverter, or about 96.5%) from COA and 30% from Federal (Federal rebate is cost after COA rebate). If their costs were about the same as mine (wouldn't be that much different since time-frame was about same) then I would guesstimate a $3k out-of-pocket system at 2.3kW DC. Payback about 9 years unless they are paying a lot more than COA electric rates or they got a much bigger initial rebate.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:28 AM

182 posts, read 694,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
As mentioned in other threads, I'm building a ~3500sf home in Austin and am wondering what the ROI will look like for an AC upgrade. Upgrading from 14 SEER to 18 SEER costs just under $10k for two units. Is it reasonable to assume that in a new home (R-38 blow-in fiberglass) of this size that we'll pay $250/mo in electric to keep it around 73-74? If so, then we'd save ~$100/mo and get a return in about 8 years or a bit sooner if electric rates increase. Is my math on target?
Keeping 77F in my ~3500sf newly built "energy efficient" house with 2 AC units, So, my last bill from PEC was $177.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM

473 posts, read 1,328,033 times
Quote:
Lots of people here in Steiner have added solar panels.
You're right, there are tons. But only 3-4 years ago a big hail storm hit Steiner and took out 60-70% of the roofs. I really wonder how these units would survive such a storm, and are they covered under insurance?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
Does the upgrade include some other 'perks' in regards to the warranty or service plan on the units? When I checked a year ago, ARS included a 10? year 'premium' warranty and included yearly check-ups with the purchase of the higher-rated units. Just another 'value added' approach to the higher rated units.

I would think $100 difference per month is high on 3500 sq ft AND it would be realized only about 6 months of the year, I believe.

I love being 'cool' in the house, especially at night; but anything below 76 feels darned chilly to me(pleasantly so ). Also, our system seems to find a 'sweetspot' at 75-76, where anything cooler requires the system to run MUCH longer to hold the lower temp. On the other hand, we reduce the system use upstairs during the day when folks are seldom up there(allowing it to reach 80 or so during the hottest days).

Also, I'd question the difference in cost on the upgrade. Sounds like a bit of extra profit built in(could be many other factors as well) on a $10K difference. Seems I was quoted about half that to upgrade two units for our 3600 sq ft. $10K difference sounds very high.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
I am SO confused.

Our bill last month was $425. LOL The month before that, it was $405. This month's bill is $337.

I was just paying it thinking it's summer...it's hot...oh well. We built our house a little over 2 years ago, and we have 4200 sq ft. I keep the lower level at 75 most of the time, but I haven't been checking what the kids have been setting the upper level thermostat to. What am I missing?

I'm clueless about the particulars about our unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin