Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 03:56 PM

55 posts, read 136,076 times

Advertisements

I would think traventine is so native to this area, there should be a lot of "bulk" and cheap suppliers instead of those fancy "showroom" type stores with extra expensive stuff.

i will appreciate any recommendation on a cheap and good quality traventine floor tile store.. i am looking to change some my floors..

Also, how expensive it is to get it installed. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:50 PM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
There's a stone auction that comes through every few months that usually has a lot of travertine. But not all of it is a "good" deal so you'll need to know your stuff before you go. You can find it advertised on craigslist.

There's also a place near the 183 access road near mopac.... united dr, I think.... they've got true remnants of all kinds. I can't remember the name but it's pretty obvious as you drive by.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin0 View Post
I would think traventine is so native to this area, there should be a lot of "bulk" and cheap suppliers instead of those fancy "showroom" type stores with extra expensive stuff.
I think you mean travertine, which is a form of limestone, right?

The irony is that despite the City of Austin being built on a bed of limestone, most of the travertine sold and installed in the area is imported from other countries. The best known and most desireable travertine comes from Italy. But the bulk of what is sold here comes from Mexico. Turkish travertine is less expensive.

Home Depot and Lowes both sell travertine tile, as does a local company called the Tile Guy.
1748 W Anderson Ln, 512 467-0151 The Tile Guy

Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
My ASID darling has had some luck at Floor and Decor on Braker just east of 183. I'm afraid the dollar savings on the stone won't mean 'much' in the total picture of a quality install. Happy hunting!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM

55 posts, read 136,076 times
thanks for your reply.. yes, i indeed meant travertine..

very strage to find that all of it comes from outside.. i was hoping for some nearby stone-source type place where they dig and sell at same place.. I will go to these places next and look for some deals.. the tile guy place looks more promising.. Somehow i always tend to purchase local where possible instead of national chains.. lets hope I like something that motivates me to change my floors..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: