Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I don't eat Italian food in Austin for the same reason I won't eat Tex-Mex north of Dallas.

It is just not worth the disappointment.
You have a very strong point. I think I almost died in shock the first time someone tried to serve me a "California Burrito" out here, which is apparently quite the delicacy in SoCal. Carne asada, french fries, and cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
I don't eat Italian food in Austin for the same reason I won't eat Tex-Mex north of Dallas.

It is just not worth the disappointment.
This is the truth.

But I keep trying.

Here is how I rate them:

1. Abysmal - too many to mention, but memorably atrocious Italianish food can be found at Taverna, Frank and Angie, Brick Oven, Carmelos, Romeos, Tree House, Carrabas, Olive Garden (except surprisingly for the gnocchi, which was almost decent once)

2. Just plain bad and clueless (and in many case expensive): Vespaio, Siena, Sagra

3. Borderline passable: North, Mandola's at the Triangle, used to be almost good when they first opened at the Triangle, but has declined precipitously.

4. Okay, some dishes tending to good: Asti, Andiamo, Olive & June.

Basically very few places make their own pasta fresco, and even when they do, they overcook it.

There is however an absolutely excellent Italian restaurant in San Antonio - Il Sogno, so when I get desperate I just drive for an hour and a half and feel much better!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
I think the poster who said we're not "mobbed up" around here had it right!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
You have a very strong point. I think I almost died in shock the first time someone tried to serve me a "California Burrito" out here, which is apparently quite the delicacy in SoCal. Carne asada, french fries, and cheese.
While it is a drive from Palm Springs...

Santana's off Midway Dr. In San Diego.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
While it is a drive from Palm Springs...

Santana's off Midway Dr. In San Diego.
LOL - thanks for the referral - I'll be settled back in Austin in the next four weeks, so no trips to San Diego on the agenda.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
LOL - thanks for the referral - I'll be settled back in Austin in the next four weeks, so no trips to San Diego on the agenda.
I actually figured out how to make them myself - best thing ever for those late nights.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
The problem with Austin is we're not a mobbed up city. If Austin could be a little more friendly towards organized crime, we'd get the nice mom and pop type of places run by recent immigrants.
That is really a very racist comment. What if someone asked if there were any good German restaurants, and someone said...if Austin were a little more friendly towards Nazis, etc. .... Not all- by any stretch- Italians are mob related.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:52 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
That is really a very racist comment. What if someone asked if there were any good German restaurants, and someone said...if Austin were a little more friendly towards Nazis, etc. .... Not all- by any stretch- Italians are mob related.
Oh good lord...
Lighten up.

Last edited by Komeht; 10-18-2012 at 07:21 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 03:29 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Verona Ristorante Italino
E1, 7101 Texas 71, Austin, TX (512) 288-3800 ‎ · veronaustin.com

This small restaurant located in the far back corner of the shopping center at the Y in Oak Hill has some of the best Italian food I have had in Austin.

I see on the website that they now have a North location as well.

Verona Ristorante Italiano
6406 North IH-35, Ste. 2949
Austin, Texas 78752
(512) 458-3500
Thanks for the lead. Verona had slipped under my radar so far, but then again, I don't get out that way often. I must say, when I get the chance I think I'll try the South location. They're rated 4 on Yelp, but the North location is only rated 3 1/2 and they have some individual reviews that are not so great. It's a tough transition for a chef and management, going from one location to two, because it takes some additional skills they didn't initially need to run a single location well.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM

65 posts, read 135,030 times
I've been to Verona Ristorante Italiano. I went there twice when it first opened. The food had way too much garlic for my taste. My husband didn't like it either. Some friends wanted to try it so we agreed to go a second time, but none of us enjoyed the meal. I had asked that they hold the garlic, but they weren't able to accommodate my request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin