Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM

118 posts, read 296,150 times

Advertisements

I am in the 78681 (1431/Mayfield Ranch area) and picked up a new tank at Costco....now I need to find a place to fill it. Any ideas?
I know I can hit the Wag a Bag/Shell Station at Great Oaks and grab a Blue Rhino exchange, but I also prefer to have my own backup at the ready when needed.

btw...We got here in late August and truly love it....Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Most U-haul places used to fill tanks, some still do but others have stopped.

In south Austin, there is an RV/camping store off 290 that does, but not sure what would be the equivalent up north.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post
I am in the 78681 (1431/Mayfield Ranch area) and picked up a new tank at Costco....now I need to find a place to fill it. Any ideas?
I know I can hit the Wag a Bag/Shell Station at Great Oaks and grab a Blue Rhino exchange, but I also prefer to have my own backup at the ready when needed.

Looks like these folks should be able to help. It's a little 'around your elbow' to get there; but you could hit Johnny T's Round Rock BBQ for lunch and the Wash Tub if your vehicle needs a cleanin'. You could take Sam Bass to the access road and go south to 620, then less than a mile to the west. If you've not 'enjoyed' Sam Bass Rd yet, give yourself a few extra minutes...or a GPS!

U-Haul Moving & Storage of Round Rock: Propane

We do some pet 'sitting' out in Mayfield...nice neighborhood. Welcome to central Texas

Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 AM

499 posts, read 1,306,147 times
There's a place on I-35 near Grand Ave Pkwy
pflugerville propane - Google Search

Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking2tex View Post

Why drive all over to get a tank refilled, when you can just exchange your empty tank for a full one down the street? Your goal is to end up with a full propane tank, right?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Why drive all over to get a tank refilled, when you can just exchange your empty tank for a full one down the street? Your goal is to end up with a full propane tank, right?
It really is quite a bit cheaper to fill, and if you own your own tank and want to keep one as a backup, it is a pain to pay the initial 'new' tank price twice if you don't need to.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It really is quite a bit cheaper to fill, and if you own your own tank and want to keep one as a backup, it is a pain to pay the initial 'new' tank price twice if you don't need to.
You don't have to pay the new tank price to do an empty exchange, and I highly doubt that the price difference would offset the cost of gas and time.

The OP currently has one empty tank, and would like to have a full tank. Exchange the empty for the full for $17 - $19 at any one of the places that do so. The cost to fill that tank at the UHaul link provided as an example would be around $16.80+ tax, after about 20 miles of driving.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You don't have to pay the new tank price to do an empty exchange, and I highly doubt that the price difference would offset the cost of gas and time.

The OP currently has one empty tank, and would like to have a full tank. Exchange the empty for the full for $17 - $19 at any one of the places that do so. The cost to fill that tank at the UHaul link provided as an example would be around $16.80+ tax, after about 20 miles of driving.
A dirty little secret about tank exchanges - your new "full" tank is not filled to capacity. They are short of full by several pounds (I think they put 15lbs in a 20lb tank). They started doing this a few years ago when propane prices went up. Instead of raising the price, they fill them less. It costs more, and you get less. I take mine to an RV park on Hamilton Pool Rd which fills to capacity.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:01 AM

Last time I filled my tank at u-haul, it was $8, but it has been a while....

Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
A dirty little secret about tank exchanges - your new "full" tank is not filled to capacity. They are short of full by several pounds (I think they put 15lbs in a 20lb tank). They started doing this a few years ago when propane prices went up. Instead of raising the price, they fill them less. It costs more, and you get less. I take mine to an RV park on Hamilton Pool Rd which fills to capacity.
HEB has been filling to about 17.5 or 4.75 gallons. That's why I always do my exchanges there. Some of the Blue Rhino places are definitely running around 15, or 4 gallons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin