Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times

Advertisements

Oh, to answer the other parts of your question, we start getting cold fronts in Sept/Oct but they are usually mild and just bring relief from the summer heat, they don't really get cold. Nov and Dec are sporadic. Jan and Feb are the worst months as far as how cold it can get, but remember, it can be in the 90's in Feb too, so it's not a constant cold like up north. It cools down, warms up and then repeats. Ice storms aren't very frequent, but we've had one now 2 years in a row. it's what happens when the rain from a front freezes on the roads. It can get quite ugly and most folks realize it's smarter to stay home. The worst one recently lasted about 2.5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 03:04 PM

718 posts, read 2,361,360 times
Our AC is still on. I I slept with the windows open, I would not be able to breath or see the next day. Plus, they are laying a new water pipe not even 100 feet away, so all the dust and noise would make it even more unbearable! I have more allergies since moving to Texas than ever!

But I do really love the good ole days of temps in the low 50s, going to a high school football game, coming home, throwing an extra blanket on the bed and sleeping in next to near heaven for the night!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:14 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
Our AC is still on. I I slept with the windows open, I would not be able to breath or see the next day. Plus, they are laying a new water pipe not even 100 feet away, so all the dust and noise would make it even more unbearable! I have more allergies since moving to Texas than ever!

But I do really love the good ole days of temps in the low 50s, going to a high school football game, coming home, throwing an extra blanket on the bed and sleeping in next to near heaven for the night!
Yea, my eyes would probably be swollen shut...

I love those fall nights you're referring to as well...crisp, with the smell of fallen leaves and campfire...

Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 99,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
In Austin, we get nice fall, winter and spring. Spring here is amazing. But the summers can be cruel.
We're currently living at the Jersey Shore, where the summers can be hot (90's is not uncommon) and frequently humid. The charts I have seen show the "average high" for Austin during the summer to be mid-90's. Is that what you consider "cruel"? Sounds pretty much like Jersey...

kathy

Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM

99 posts, read 421,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanatic View Post
We're currently living at the Jersey Shore, where the summers can be hot (90's is not uncommon) and frequently humid. The charts I have seen show the "average high" for Austin during the summer to be mid-90's. Is that what you consider "cruel"? Sounds pretty much like Jersey...

kathy
Last summer 90 degree weather started in April and lasted until late October or early November. I think there were 20 consecutive days over 100. The summer before that in October it reached 108. What the temperatures don't tell is the humidity. As the temps drop at night (down to 78-80), the humidity rises, so it still can be quite uncomfortable. It's all relative to what you are used to though; there's plenty of people bicycling along 360 at mid day in the summer.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:01 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
Ok I have the AC up high (like 82) and lots of windows open. It's been that way since last night and we just came home to the freshest smelling house... I love this.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:05 PM

290 posts, read 1,181,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFanatic View Post

kathy
Yes, it does stay mostly in the mid 90s on average (somedays it breaks 100)... but the humidity is what gets you not the actual temperature. The good news is that it is not every day. We get some days where it is not so bad.

In our backyard, we got trees for shade (another plus for people that buy pre-owned homes). We also expanded our back patio, and placed a tree few feet away.. So our patio is mostly shaded. We are able to use our back patio often during the summer (especially late in the afternoon or early evening). That is the good news. In the shade is not as bad. But the humidity on some days keeps us inside.

I've seen folks that installed an outdoor ceiling fan on their patio. I think this is a great idea and can minimize the problem.

As far as kids playing outside in the mid summer, it is not easy since it gets too hot. They play outside for 20-30 minutes at a time, but not more. Since we created a shady area in the back, it is much easier for them. Like our swing set is under a tree, and that helps a great deal. The neighborhood swimming pool is where my kids like to go on a hot day.

There are all sort of places to entertain kids indoors around Austin which helps too.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:24 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Also, since Austin is no where near coastal, the wind can feel like a hair dryer in the middle of the summer. But the above posters are right, it is the constant heat for a long time (it really doesn't even get cool at night).

Mehmed II
Zara Yoqob
De Gaulle
Napoleon
Louis XIV

Old 10-14-2007, 09:20 AM

People tend to take their vacations around Christmas and spring break. Our family takes a yearly vacation in July.. We go somewhere like the PNW, enjoy the weather etc.. come back and before you know it July is over.. Since we started doing this a while back, it has helped out with the summers in Austin. That means summers go by a whole lot faster... Just my opinion.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:27 AM

Another way to think about this is that in many places in the country people stay indoors from around late November till February or March. In Austin, we get great weather from mid October to mid April (or May) where you can be outside doing whatever most of the time (yeah we get few cold days, but they are a few). So if you look at it from the perspective of the entire year, it is not so bad. Now if you factor in a vacation in mid summer, you see how this improves the picture a great deal. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin