Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 AM

4 posts, read 6,100 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the area, and have a photo session coming up on Friday (my client is new to the area, also, so we're both scouting!). I'm trying to avoid anything to do with downtown and the surrounding areas, as I know it will be a zoo since it's race weekend.

Little on what we're looking for: outside, parks okay, old style buildings okay, nothing with too much of a "country feel". It's a family of four, two young boys.

I'm up in NW, if that makes a difference. Anything around 360, West of 360, Cedar Park, or 291/71 would be good, I believe.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you! :]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 06:52 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Laguna Gloria is great for photo shoots, lots of structures and the main building to frame shots. Anything off of the various Bull Creek access points would be nice for an outdoorsy, rocky feel. Brushy Creek Park is good with the water in the background and large meadows.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 AM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
Yeah, Mayfield park next Laguna Gloria is a pretty common photography spot as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 6,100 times
Thank you for the suggestions. I know Laguna Gloria has a fee, and for this shoot we're looking for something free. I'll definitely keep that place in mind for future shoots, looks very nice!

Brushy Creek Park- when I google it, it looks like there's several options- can you narrow it down to location?
Where are the Bull Creek access points?
(sorry, new!! :] )

Old 11-13-2012, 01:10 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAO_1204 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I know Laguna Gloria has a fee, and for this shoot we're looking for something free. I'll definitely keep that place in mind for future shoots, looks very nice!

Brushy Creek Park- when I google it, it looks like there's several options- can you narrow it down to location?
I'd run a couple scouting trips around the same time you're planning on shooting, since lighting can be a challenge at both spots.

BC Park is right off Parmer and Brushy Creek Rd. You pretty much just have to go there and find a location that has the "look" you want.

Bull Creek can be accessed off 360, between 2222 and Spicewood Springs, there's a sign on the East side of the road.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Bull Creek is a nature trail, so you'd just look around for something along the way that looks like a nice backdrop. You can enter it off Lakewood Drive (Bull Creek District park), although there are other entrances.

Parks, trails, and open space in Austin and Travis County | Austin Parks Foundation

You might also consider near the 2222 bridge at 360. There is an observation point that you can walk up to on the NW corner. It's where most photos you've seen of the Pennybacker bridge have been taken. Parking is just along the side of the road, and you'll usually see a few cars parked there.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/pennybacker-bridge-austin

There is also a clearing and perhaps some nice spots to take photos at the base of the bridge, near the office complex on the SW side. You'd take the exit off 360 to get to the boat ramp under the bridge and park there.

Finally, there is a scenic overlook right off 360 near Wild Basin nature preserve. And the Wild Basin nature preserve itself. These are not technically NW, but a pretty short drive if you are already near 360/2222.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
Note: the spot observation spot ATXCIO mentions for the Pennybacker Bridge is a bit harder to access now. It used to be that you could park at the base of the path (north of the bridge) but they've put up signs that indicate that it's for emergency vehicles to use. You can still park (I believe) in the neighboring business complexes but it would be a bit of a walk and that's something to consider if you have little kids with you.

Bull Creek is a popular spot for shooting and is free.

The Arboretum area is free to shoot at; there's a pond area with ample shade especially nearing sundown (the light can get just gorgeous there as the trees filter it).

If your client would like to look into parks in Williamson County, you will need to pay a fee. Wilco charges 10% of your charge to your client for shooting in their parks.

If you'd like more recommendations, email me phisch at gmail dot com.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAO_1204 View Post

I have not visited there recently, but in the past I have never felt any pressure to donate if you are just walking around the grounds. A donation is encouraged if you want to go inside the museum.

"Laguna Gloria is a restored 1916 Mediterranean style villa that was built by Texas legend Clara Driscoll and is now owned by the AMOA-Arthouse. The home and grounds, located at the end of W. 35th Street, are free to visit (recommended donation of $5). "

Free Fun in Austin: Visit Laguna Gloria

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-13-2012 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,822 times
CaptnRn, they do ask that professional photographers pay a fee if they are shooting there for their clients. The fee ranges depending on the type of shoot and, considering the cost of other venues in Austin for commercial photography, the fee is really reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin