Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,000,519 times

Advertisements

Personally, I prefer the term "bum". I mean, if I had a preference as to what people were going to call me based on where I was on a particular day, what I was wearing, or what I looked like....yup, I'd go with "bum". Slacker sounds too sophisticated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,298 times
I have read many posts that are filled with generalizations and substantiated only by their personal slant, but this writer takes first prize. If you are going to chastise an entire population based on what you see, or think you see, please have the courtesy to back up your observations with facts. How many people did you speak with? What percentage of the population of Austin fell into the categories with which you denigrate all Austin citizens? How many days of observation were in your study? Where did you get your degree in statistics or sociology? To be taken seriously, you certainly need to deal with facts, not opinion. I await the results of your intellectual study.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:07 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake travis View Post
I have read many posts that are filled with generalizations and substantiated only by their personal slant, but this writer takes first prize. If you are going to chastise an entire population based on what you see, or think you see, please have the courtesy to back up your observations with facts. How many people did you speak with? What percentage of the population of Austin fell into the categories with which you denigrate all Austin citizens? How many days of observation were in your study? Where did you get your degree in statistics or sociology? To be taken seriously, you certainly need to deal with facts, not opinion. I await the results of your intellectual study.
Not many "studies" on here....just opinions, and this poster is entitled to his as well as anyone else...

Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Given the price of real estate here, they can't be slacking too much.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 AM

42 posts, read 164,067 times
Personally, I am retired - got outsourced from Schlumberger after 28 years at the end of 2005 and immediately moved here from Houston. Here in Briarcliff (w/nw of city), it seems about 50% of folks are retired. My son graduated from UT last year as an engineer. He has only used his suit for interviews. I agree that the 'slacker' appearence is most likely UT students. Most people outside of TX don't know that UT - Austin is the largest public school in the country with over 50K students.
Don't be so harsh on southwest1230 - he (she?) was just making a casual observation as a tourist, as most people do in a strange town.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM

42 posts, read 164,067 times
I wonder what southwest1230 would think if he had seen one of Austin's street characters such as Leslie parading around!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:19 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
and the luxury of Austin is that you can be yourself regardless of your net worth. Seems like people in Dallas/LA flaunt it (whether they have it or not) while here they just want to focus their energies on something else.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:52 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,816 times
Never saw a grave yet that had written "This person showed up on time every day and worked hard".....though have seen lots of "Beloved..enjoyed life..much missed, etc.".....in other words, life is to be lived and enjoyed, and work is just a utilitarian means to that end, not an end in itself.....
Austinites are a rare breed that seem to have collectively have that figured out......along with smaller enclaves like Key West and such....

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 AM

44 posts, read 128,731 times
Yall need to remember that Austin is a college town. We have the largest community college in Texas along with UT and 4-5 smaller universities. What your noticing are people enjoying their life outside. In other cities that don't have the parks, lakes and other outdoor activities so people are indoors or so spread out that when you come to Austin its very noticeable.

As a realtor i drive the streets everyday and i have noticed more tourist out in the past year. This city is thriving..

Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
As Bukowski said “Any damn fool can beg up some kind of job; it takes a wise man to make it without working."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin