Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,625 times

Advertisements

Study harder...slow speeds are more dangerous. Use common sense and don't believe the hype...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:11 AM

307 posts, read 721,818 times
it has been discussed on other threads here before, but I am flabbergasted at how Texan's - who are otherwise very polite - don't care at all if they are driving slow in the "fast lane" and get passed all day from the right. It just doesn't bother them and I see it as so rude. On Mopac (down by Best Buy/Southwest Parkway area) they had on their LED sign asking for slower traffic to go to the right and that the left lane was for passing only.
So that seems to be proof in the pudding for all of those that say "I can drive (only) the speed limit in the fast lane" - actually it seemst that you shouldn't - it is for passing only and you aren't passing anyone.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
And lets not leave out the part about rude people going left lane speeds in the right lane when the left lane is empty. That's just as dangerous and DOES happen around here quite a bit.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM

782 posts, read 1,105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Study harder...slow speeds are more dangerous. Use common sense and don't believe the hype...
You study more - I saw one study recently, admitedly done in the UK, where out of something like 22,000 accidents 143 were caused by slow drivers. Of course the Brittish tabloids published it as "Slow drivers suck!! 143 accidents caused, OMG!!!"

Once again ... yes I would agree that the most dangerous drivers on the road are BOTH the slowest 5% and the fastest 5% of drivers. However, there are VASTLY more accidents caused by high speed/speeders than there are slow drivers.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
I've never understood why everyone doesn't just drive the posted speed limit. Wouldn't that make it easier on everyone? No tickets, no speeding, no slow drivers. Perhaps the problem is that some folks feel entitled to drive whatever speed they wish without regard for others...I don't know but driving the posted speed limit seems to be something that most drivers ignore one way or the other.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
The damage is far greater in accidents at high speed, as well.

As for using common sense, common sense says that when you are driving at an excessively high rate of speed and something occurs that could lead to an accident, you have far less reaction time AND your vehicle has far more stopping time to respond to the situation and avoid the accident.

This entirely aside from speeders that cause accidents by tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.

This study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration appears to indicate that slow speeds are not more dangerous. In fact, it states: "Speeding is one of the most prevalent factors contributing to traffic crashes." It's an interesting study.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 AM

5 times more like to be in an accident driving 50 in a 65 mph zone than driving 80...

Deal with reality...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Lol I remember in high school, we were informed of a govt study which concluded that smoking a single joint enhanced effects of alcohol by a factor of 40. So smoke a joint and drink a single beer and its like drinking 40 beers...

Propaganda is hilarious...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
5 times more like to be in an accident driving 50 in a 65 mph zone than driving 80...

Deal with reality...
Yes, deal with reality, and common sense, even if it means that you're wrong, Gorfml. Read the study above. There's lots more where that came from.

By the way, as said, I absolutely agree with the original post regarding slow drivers in the left lane. I also think that those who exceed the speed limit (including me) should be pulled over, as well. BOTH can cause accidents. I'm willing to admit it about slow drivers; why aren't you willing to admit it about speeding drivers?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I've never understood why everyone doesn't just drive the posted speed limit. Wouldn't that make it easier on everyone? No tickets, no speeding, no slow drivers. Perhaps the problem is that some folks feel entitled to drive whatever speed they wish without regard for others...I don't know but driving the posted speed limit seems to be something that most drivers ignore one way or the other.

This right here. It's been stated before, and it seems to make some people start foaming at the mouth at the very idea that they should drive the speed limit, that it's actually a LIMIT on how fast they should drive. I've heard everything from "But, Mom, EVERYBODY'S doing it!" (did that REALLY work on your mother when you were growing up, and if so, shame on her!) to "The people setting the speed limit don't know anything about it, but I know all about what the speed limit should be!" Nothing rational, though, to explain why they and everyone else are incapable of remaining within the speed limit (in either direction, but so far I've never run into anyone who is foaming at the mouth that they should be allowed to drive excessively slowly, interestingly enough).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin