Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 PM

11 posts, read 16,761 times

Advertisements

I've been considering moving to Austin. I do personal training and usually just train clients outdoors in the park. Is it practical to continue doing this in Austin or does it get too hot in the summer when it is over 100 degree? When it hits 100 is it consistent throughout the week or are there days where it drops down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
While there are trainers here at parks, they are all early in the morning. I never see personal trainers here out during the day during summer (June-Sept at minimum) with clients, it's just too hot. And if I were going to hire a trainer and he/she only worked outside and only had spots available between 10am-6pm, I'd look elsewhere. There ARE a lot of bootcamp gyms here. Anecdotally, since allergies are so bad here I have several of friends who choose indoor bootcamps because they simply cannot be outside and trying to train/workout while dealing with allergy attacks.

And yes, 100 or above for months on end. It only drops down if there is a storm (rare). A 95 degree day during the summer is a cold front, honestly.

This is NOT to say that there are not a TON of runners out running miles and miles when it's 103 -- they are all over. BUT, usually, those are not the type of people looking for personal trainers as they are already incredibly well-conditioned.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
On the other hand, 81 degrees on December 18 isn't too hard on the system.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 AM

11 posts, read 16,761 times
Thanks for the info guys.

So is it still practical to train outdoors during the summer in the early morning or late at night when it cools down a bit?

Do you happen to know if there are a lot of places where it is easy to rent space for by the hour for training? Do any gyms or studio spaces offer this?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdbt1 View Post
I've been considering moving to Austin. I do personal training and usually just train clients outdoors in the park. Is it practical to continue doing this in Austin or does it get too hot in the summer when it is over 100 degree? When it hits 100 is it consistent throughout the week or are there days where it drops down?
depends on the client. some are up for it, get heat adapted, don't have a problem waking up at 5 to get to a 6am workout. . .others won't bother.

every summer is different around here - the last two have been just brutal (especially 2011) with no let up for months.

What next summer holds is anyone's guess. . .but once the high pressure settles in, it doesn't really let up until we get an early tropical storm or hits mid/late september

Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsdbt1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

So is it still practical to train outdoors during the summer in the early morning or late at night when it cools down a bit?
Yes. Even during 100 degree days you will see runners, cyclists, and other fitness oriented people out and about, especially in the morning. In late summer it will still be 90+ at 7 p.m.. But MANY motivated and reasonably fit people exercise even when it is hot. It takes some acclimation, and it is very important to include hydration in the exercise plan.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
It depends on your heat tolerance. It's not unusual here to have many 100+ degree days during the summers. And unless there's a drought, it can get humid too.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Click on any month to see the historic daily averages and extremes. Intellicast - Local Weather Forecast, Reports and Maps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: