Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:22 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Wow, AR a bit off topic from 183 businesses, let's stay on topic.
You have a point; but the growth of businesses OFF of 183 and into surrounding neighborhoods directly affects the draw(or lack thereof) BACK to 183...thus contributing to the shuttering or moving of those former 183 locations. As areas like AR Blvd/Parmer, for example, add restaurants and other businesses, it's less enticing to drive along 183 to find food, services, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You have a point; but the growth of businesses OFF of 183 and into surrounding neighborhoods directly affects the draw(or lack thereof) BACK to 183...thus contributing to the shuttering or moving of those former 183 locations. As areas like AR Blvd/Parmer, for example, add restaurants and other businesses, it's less enticing to drive along 183 to find food, services, etc.
Point taken.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Oh, forgot about the Starbucks @Lake Creek Pkwy and 183 closing as well.

Why can't a Starbucks survive along the 183 corridor?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 AM

36 posts, read 75,302 times
Quote:

That Starbucks was surviving just well, every time I drove by it or went to the kolache joint next door it was busy. I bet the property owners wanted a lot more money to renew the lease. I know that was the case with the pawn shop just south of them.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:

But there is one at the next intersection - Anderson Mill and 183. It seemed redundant to me to have two so close by. That one is always crowded, so I don't think being "along 183" specifically was the issue.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM

318 posts, read 670,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
But there is one at the next intersection - Anderson Mill and 183. It seemed redundant to me to have two so close by. That one is always crowded, so I don't think being "along 183" specifically was the issue.
AND they opened a new one at Lakeline and 183 in the new HEB/Alamo Drafthouse development.

The one at Lake Creek and 183 had THE most terrible parking lot I have ever seen for a Starbucks.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,121,030 times
It also made for a dangerous intersection because people would dart across 3 lanes of traffic and slam on their brakes from the feeder U-Turn to get at that Starbucks.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:16 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppymeg View Post

The one at Lake Creek and 183 had THE most terrible parking lot I have ever seen for a Starbucks.
Did you never visit the Sandy Springs 'bucks? THAT was sad!!!(Next to Rumi's Kitchen)

Old 04-21-2014, 01:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
I think the shuttered business effect is just the normal strip-mall transitioning, and there is a lot of that on 183 -- but in other areas, too. The big chains which don't build their own buildings (big retailers, places like Starbucks, etc) always want to have the spot in the premier shopping center. Perhaps to stake it out so the competition doesn't get it. Or perhaps they get a great deal when the new developers are trying to get tenants to secure funding. So, they sign a lease for a few years when a shopping center is new... but when a new one gets built (or one is completely remodeled), they will move there. Even if it is just across the street. I've seen it happen so many times around the 183, Mopac, and 360 area. Circuit city (when it was around), Best Buy, Home Depot, etc -- they jumped around to the newest, most "premier" shopping center in the immediate area. That was the plan with Whole Foods, too ... but they decided to keep the old location open.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think the shuttered business effect is just the normal strip-mall transitioning, and there is a lot of that on 183 -- but in other areas, too. The big chains which don't build their own buildings (big retailers, places like Starbucks, etc) always want to have the spot in the premier shopping center. Perhaps to stake it out so the competition doesn't get it. Or perhaps they get a great deal when the new developers are trying to get tenants to secure funding. So, they sign a lease for a few years when a shopping center is new... but when a new one gets built (or one is completely remodeled), they will move there. Even if it is just across the street. I've seen it happen so many times around the 183, Mopac, and 360 area. Circuit city (when it was around), Best Buy, Home Depot, etc -- they jumped around to the newest, most "premier" shopping center in the immediate area. That was the plan with Whole Foods, too ... but they decided to keep the old location open.
So is this just a case of those old strip centers needing a good ole fashioned remodeling? (a little lipstick on the pig so to speak?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin