Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:02 PM

25 posts, read 98,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
The right thing is what the Travis County zoning statute says which allows for the dealership use. Perfectly appropriate because it is on a major thoroughfare, in fact, the major throughfare of far western Travis County

It's their responsibility to be informed home buyers. They're grown. They're not babies. So, let's not baby them. They are in Texas. They need to be Texas Tough! No complainers allowed!

It doesn't matter if people agree or disagree, following the state law or county/city zoning ordinances is the right thing.

I am not disputing the legality of the situation. Covert has every right to build what it wants on its lot and yes, the adjoining residents should have imagined the worst possible development scenario before buying. However, I think that exercising the right to build there will come with the opportunity costs of building a good business relationships with the local customer base they are after. That may or may not be something they are willing to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,767,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Don't get the hysteria. Just another parking lot with cars, kinda like most shopping centers, right?
Well...they moved out to the suburbs to get away from sprawl. Oh, wait...

Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
How is "light retail" as safe assumption after the Hill Country Galleria???
I am sure that if even a Walmart was going up there wouldn't be as much noise as there is with the dealer.

Quote:
Why do residents get to determine the lot next to them because "they were ther first" (first being a mere three years earlier).
Have you ever heard of a private nuisance? Look it up.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txlonghorn View Post
I am not disputing the legality of the situation. Covert has every right to build what it wants on its lot and yes, the adjoining residents should have imagined the worst possible development scenario before buying. However, I think that exercising the right to build there will come with the opportunity costs of building a good business relationships with the local customer base they are after. That may or may not be something they are willing to pay.
I'm sure the near hysterical reaction of Falconhead West has been heard by Covert and they will make an evaluation as to whether to go forward or not. I'm pretty sure it will be based not on emotion but what makes the most sense to their bottom line.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:

Have you ever heard of a private nuisance? Look it up.
please cite me a Texas case where a car dealership was declared such.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
I am sure that if even a Walmart was going up there wouldn't be as much noise as there is with the dealer.
Pretty sure you're dead wrong on this. A Large ugly big box sprawl with enormous parking lot and gas station attracting traffic and (let's face it...those kind of people) would be greeted with the same enthusiastic response and support from Falconhead West as a car dealership...

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,869 times
The Coverts are coming! The Coverts are coming!

My bet its a Caddy dealership, conveniently located in Escaladeland.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
please cite me a Texas case where a car dealership was declared such.
I am not aware of any cases where a dealership gets built within a few feet of a residential area but I guess there is always a first one.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I am not aware of any cases where a dealership gets built within a few feet of a residential area but I guess there is always a first one.
This is the first time in the state of Texas that a car dealership gets built adjacent to a residential area? Are you kidding me? There are probably a dozen or more in Austin alone. So again, I ask, since you're stating a legal principal, when has a court of law in the state of Texas held a car dealership to be a private nuisance.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure you're dead wrong on this. A Large ugly big box sprawl with enormous parking lot and gas station attracting traffic and (let's face it...those kind of people) would be greeted with the same enthusiastic response and support from Falconhead West as a car dealership...
The backs of large retails stores are not as noisy as dealers with their pneumatic tools, loudspeakers, and car horns. The gas station is usually in the front of the store and not in the back as in a dealer. Also , some people may see it as a convenience to able to walk to Walmart. And Walmart can build a fairly nice store like the one at four points. So while there would be some outcry it would not be unbearable to live behind one and if the adjoining residents wanted to sell I could could see some retention of property values. I see a total loss of property values when backing up to a dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin