Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times

Advertisements

A car dealership is not the right business for this beautiful hill country landscape. Nobody in this community is happy about this decision and will do everything in their power to fight it. Car dealerships belong next to busy freeways, not in quiet, family friendly neighborhoods. Nobody wants the noise, the lights, the traffic, the pollution. Please join us in our fight to protect the hill country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM

25 posts, read 98,712 times
The other big issue is safety. The stretch of 71 where they plan to build it is notorious for the frequent multi-car accidents, many of them fatal. It's also a major speed trap. There is no middle turn lane to merge into the south-eastbound side of 71. This may entice customers to go into the residential streets to test drive cars, cutting through Falconhead West and Falconhead to come out 620 and back around to 71.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jendkline View Post
Please join us in our fight to protect the hill country.
Excuse me?

Seriously?

Don't be absurd, if you were really concerned about protecting the hill country you wouldn't have supported building all those sprawlburbs out there.

Lets not kid ourselves about what this is about.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You can't "blend in" when you're proposing a fueling station onsite that sits 80 feet from someone's house. You can't "blend in" when your service bay is set to be 100 feet from someone's house...
I'm sorry, but that land is (or was) private property that was sold in an area without strict zoning restrictions, right? Those people with their houses 80-100' from said land probably should have done some due diligence when buying the house - as should the rest of the residents when they bought theirs. Did you protest the Best Buy, HEB, the Texaco, the Marshalls, or the rest of the big box garbage that went up across the street? Did you bother to ask the owner of the land behind your house what his/her plans for that land were, or did you drive past the big "For Sale" sign when you went in to the model home? When I bought my current home that backs up to a 100+ acre ranch, I knocked on the owner's door prior to signing a contract. His words were to the effect of "If I sell, it'll all be paved over hell before they get to my door"

This just reeks of NIMBYism at its finest right here. You don't like them building there, don't buy from them - encourage everyone not to buy from them, or buy their land.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM

25 posts, read 98,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Excuse me?

Seriously?

Don't be absurd, if you were really concerned about protecting the hill country you wouldn't have supported building all those sprawlburbs out there.

Lets not kid ourselves about what this is about.
Absurd would be to let the hill country be overrun by dealerships, quarries, and other industrial sites just because suburban neighborhoods have propped up, many of which have strict impervious cover restrictions and allocate a large percentage of their land to green spaces and trails.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Neither the Galleria nor the Big Box side of the street are backing into people's backyards. I never said development is not needed nor wanted. This particular development is unnecessary and unwanted.

As said, the communities in the hill country are being built with preserving the hill country views and trees. There is a 149 acre park of trails within our community. All the trees that were able to be kept throughout the building process were kept. The developers didn't go in and completely scrap the property like they do in some other areas.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,554 times
That stretch of hill country was ruined when they built all those tick-tacky houses over it. I don't see how a car-dealership will make it look any worse. Though I hope Covert does the right thing and plants a few trees at the back and puts in a convenience store so all those bored teenagers can have somewhere to walk to pick up a six-pack and a pack of cigs with their fake i.d's. Kinda enjoying the non-trivial irony of sprawl-dwellers and the realtors who profit from them objecting to the arrival of their enabling condition: cars for sale!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlonghorn View Post
Absurd would be to let the hill country be overrun by dealerships, quarries, and other industrial sites just because suburban neighborhoods have propped up, many of which have strict impervious cover restrictions and allocate a large percentage of their land to green spaces and trails.
One, a car dealership is retail, not industrial. Industrial would be a car factory.

Two, suburbs have strict impervious cover restrictions and allocation of "green space" IS low density sprawl - nothing environmentally friendly about that.

Three, dressing this up as a fight for "protecting the hill country" is absurd coming from people who opted to move out to the very thing that is gobbling up the hill country

Lets not play coy. This is about protecting your views from unsightly businesses. Fine. But you didn't value those views enough to purchase the land in the first place. I'm finding it difficult to understand why anyone not affected by this directly should be sympathetic to those who already ruined it for the rest of us.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:47 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Three, dressing this up as a fight for "protecting the hill country" is absurd coming from people who opted to move out to the very thing that is gobbling up the hill country

Lets not play coy. This is about protecting your views from unsightly businesses. Fine. But you didn't value those views enough to purchase the land in the first place. I'm finding it difficult to understand why anyone not affected by this directly should be sympathetic to those who already ruined it for the rest of us.
For those people unfamiliar, there was a big fight among Bee Cave area residents when developers first proposed the massive Hill Country Galleria shopping area, which including the installment of huge water-lines which would make large parcels of land outside of the city along Highway 71 available to subdivision use, Falconhead West was one of those resulting projects.

It is ironic that relative newcomers want to protest sprawl, when they are the sprawl.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
It is ironic that relative newcomers want to protest sprawl, when they are the sprawl.
I don't protest sprawl. I help people buy and sell houses in the burbs everyday. I'm not against it at all. I welcome new developments where appropriate.

I'm against businesses bullying their way thought a loophole and that's what they've done. They were told by the city of Bee Cave that they were not wanted within the city, so they found a foreclosed tract of land outside the city to set up camp, and that's wrong. They were told no, and like a toddler wanting that candy, they decided to do what they wanted to do instead of what they should do, which is back off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin