Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times

Advertisements

Isn't there a way of putting a new layer of drywall over the old, popcorn-covered ceiling, as if you were putting up a whole new celing and screwing the drywall right through both layers?

Making a popcorn sandwich, as it were

Obviously you would need a high ceiling as you would lose an inch or two of height, but would save a lot of mess.....???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Sounds like a product that would sell, but I've not seen it before. It would probably need to be lighter than regular drywall if you are planning to use adhesive to hold it up. Otherwise, it would need to be nailed into the joists/rafters with extra long nails.

The other problem I see is that like regular drywall, assuming it comes in pieces you'd have to cut, tape and float it -- that might be a lot of labor for all the square footage of your ceilings; possibly nearly as much as removing the popcorn.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:03 AM

30 posts, read 92,851 times
Default My neighbor just did this.

They are doing a major remodel, so I don't think she could break down the cost of just doing the ceiling, but they had popcorn ceilings throughout the house, and had them just drywall over all of them. The ceilings don't look lower--they just look fantastic.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 PM

135 posts, read 736,159 times
We closed on our house today! Anyway, it was built in 1990 and has POPCORN CEILINGS!!!! Do I need to worry about asbestos, or is that in older houses?

Old 03-15-2008, 08:09 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Homes buillt after 1979 should be asbestos-free, but if you are going to scrape off the popcorn it might be wise to have it tested just in case.

The EPA regs are here Asbestos | US EPA

If you are having someone experienced in popcorn removal do it for you, I imagine they would know the best route.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:19 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,804 times
they sell kits at home depot for popcorn ceilings, I saw them yesterday, paint section

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
If anyone has a good company to recommend, please DM me! Looks like we have some popcorn ceilings to deal with.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Asbestos sampling is cheap. I get my samples analysed by Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM) method for $8.00 each. Older houses 60's and 70's had a lot of it. Txbreeze you have nothing to worry about. Someone mentioned quantities of 1% or less is fine, WRONG. If it has 1% it is asbestos containing, that is the threashhold. It's got to be less than 1% to be non asbestos containing. Working with ACMs is not a DIY project. You can't do it with just a respirator. It has to be done under containment, negative air pressure and HEPA ilters, decontamination and wash stations under containment, you even have to give a 10 day (working day) notification just to get your permit. That alone costs $3,000 before you even begin the abatement. You need a licensed asbestos abatement contractor, and a licensed asbestos consultant under a licensed consultant agency, to do your air monitoring. $$$ You better hope it is non ACM. If it is, encapsulate it. If you don't disturb it you will be fine.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Even in older houses, the proportion of asbestos in those ceilings is low - 5 - 20%, as I remember. If you leave it alone, there is no danger from the asbestos. Its only when you mess with it that you release fibers into the air. I would vote for a coat of paint to seal it well. Removal is not necessary for safety - But it is an option if you just don't like the look.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 26,879 times
Definitely consider having the material tested if the home was built before the early 80s. Otherwise assume the material contains asbestos. Make sure that the lab you use for testing is licensed by the State of Texas. Try doing a search for: asbestos testing austin. Make sure you select an independent lab and not a consulting or remediation company.
Good luck with your project!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin