Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 15,658 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be visiting Austin next month and was hoping someone would be able to inform me on car rentals. I will be landing at the airport and after going through these forums, it seems that its a bad idea to rent a car from there as prices are greatly inflated. My question then is, if I were to rent a car from a different place, how would I get there? Would they drive up to the airport to deliver the vehicle or provide a shuttle? Or take a cab? How much are fares there? Would it be worth the hassle or just pay the extra to rent at the airport?

Also, these sames issues come up when I'm leaving Austin via airport as well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
For a 2 week rental with Avis (random example), you'd save $300 renting off-site. Probably a $20 cab fare each way, so a net savings of $260.

Hit up Hotwire and see what you can find near your hotel, and cab to/from.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Before we lived here, we would come to Austin once or twice a year. We usually stayed a week, but sometimes longer. We almost always flew into Houston and rented a car there, then drove to Austin. Its a 3 hour drive, but this saved a lot on car rental, as for some reason, cars are really expensive to rent at the airport in Austin. In addition, it probably didn't take any extra time, as we would have had to make a connection to Austin anyway, and waiting for the flight and all the airport mess probably would have taken a similar time to driving here. I can't help you with places other than the airport to rent; haven't done it.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Enterprise has locations all over town!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
For a 2 week rental with Avis (random example), you'd save $300 renting off-site. Probably a $20 cab fare each way, so a net savings of $260.

Hit up Hotwire and see what you can find near your hotel, and cab to/from.
That's a huge difference in pricing, and that kind of savings is a lot for me. Okay, atleast I know I can get to the car rental places from the airport fairly cheaply and not be forced to rent from the airport itself.

Any ideas on a cheap hostel-like place or a motel that's reputable that wouldn't end with me having bed bugs or lice by the end of the trip?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Before we lived here, we would come to Austin once or twice a year. We usually stayed a week, but sometimes longer. We almost always flew into Houston and rented a car there, then drove to Austin. Its a 3 hour drive, but this saved a lot on car rental, as for some reason, cars are really expensive to rent at the airport in Austin. In addition, it probably didn't take any extra time, as we would have had to make a connection to Austin anyway, and waiting for the flight and all the airport mess probably would have taken a similar time to driving here. I can't help you with places other than the airport to rent; haven't done it.
I have already bought my ticket to Austin. Just out of curiosity, I checked the flights from Boston to Houston for that week and a one way flight is $56 dollars more! Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 AM

73 posts, read 191,325 times
With enterprise you can rent anywhere in town and return it to the airport location with no fee. The area goes from Waco to San Marcos and there all good drop off places. The closest one to the airport is on Congress by the Salvation Army.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remasteredx2 View Post
That's a huge difference in pricing, and that kind of savings is a lot for me. Okay, atleast I know I can get to the car rental places from the airport fairly cheaply and not be forced to rent from the airport itself.

Any ideas on a cheap hostel-like place or a motel that's reputable that wouldn't end with me having bed bugs or lice by the end of the trip?
what kind of price range are you looking for? Your best bet is to go to a site like biddingfortravel.com and then priceline a hotel. You can typically get 4* hotels in downtown austin for $80/night as long as there are no big events.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
what kind of price range are you looking for? Your best bet is to go to a site like biddingfortravel.com and then priceline a hotel. You can typically get 4* hotels in downtown austin for $80/night as long as there are no big events.
Price range is lower to lowerest, haha. I'm looking more into Rusty Railway Hostel or Hostelling International prices (these are the only two i found online). At Hostelling Internatonal, i can stay for 14 days for $350 which comes to $25 per night.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remasteredx2 View Post
Price range is lower to lowerest, haha. I'm looking more into Rusty Railway Hostel or Hostelling International prices (these are the only two i found online). At Hostelling Internatonal, i can stay for 14 days for $350 which comes to $25 per night.
H.I. is in a killer location if you plan on going out often. Where do you plan on driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: