Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Well done! Glad it worked out for you. Always good to know a handy neighbor

Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,355 times
Sounds like u could have easily done that yourself... *shrug*

Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
She said that it was too big and heavy for her to handle on her own. I'm glad to hear that a neighbor was able to help her out as I agree that it's tough to find a good dependable handyman at a reasonable rate.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
Caught very early on, this 'fix' is manageable; but a proper garage/home entry door is pretty stout and any variance from perfect hinge alignment would result in improper door operation. Doors can be pretty frustrating until one gains a bit of experience and picks up a few 'tricks' of the project.(Hint: A Wonder bar and a few paint stir-sticks or thick carpet can replace a helper-person on door projects).

Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Yeah I know...just installed two French doors...without help...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:13 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'd be willing to pay $50 and a six-pack of beer to get it done the right way.
Seriously, how to you expect anyone to make a living at those rates?

Even "Chuck-in-a-truck" could not afford to drive across town for $50 if he is trying to run a successful business.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
It's done...

/end of thread.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM

14 posts, read 47,702 times
no doubt...sorry to hurt your feelings but, you are cheap.
"be warned"...no one wants to work for you.

What do you pay a plumber, electrician, mechanic, air conditioning repair, designer?

When you do find a handyman service charging $50 per job, then he most likely has some trade skills but doesn't know how to manage his business, expenses and income. He won't be doing that for very long. He sure isn't paying $1800/yr for liability insurance in case he puts a screw through the electrical wire or plumbing pipe in your wall. If you are lucky you won't have any catastrophes or warranty issues when he "can't be found anymore". You might find a migrant worker handyman to do that, with it's own risks. It's no wonder handymen/contractors get a bad wrap.

My overhead is ~$30/hr. (Truck/Insurance/Equip/TAXES). Driving to your house to listen to you talk for 45 minutes about how everyone is overcharging you, negotiate a price, and do the repair, and insure and warranty the work frankly isn't worth $20, and as a business owner it will probably end up costing me money in the long run. My time is much better spent taking good care of good-paying customers.

There is nothing wrong with finding a neighbor or friend to help with things like this but don't slam people as overcharging you that are trying to run a business and earn a meager, responsible living, and charge a "reasonable" rate.

You think I'm wrong?...call 10 listed handyman companies and ask them about their hourly rates and service call charges.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:08 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyk1 View Post
My overhead is ~$30/hr. (Truck/Insurance/Equip/TAXES). Driving to your house to listen to you talk for 45 minutes about how everyone is overcharging you, negotiate a price, and do the repair, and insure and warranty the work frankly isn't worth $20, and as a business owner it will probably end up costing me money in the long run. My time is much better spent taking good care of good-paying customers.

You think I'm wrong?...call 10 listed handyman companies and ask them about their hourly rates and service call charges.
Actually NONE of the handyman I called would come out or call me back because just re-hanging a door was not enough work for them. If I had a big list for stuff for them to do, they would have all come knocking at my door and blowing up my phone. It had nothing to do with me saying to them I only wanted to pay $50 to get it done! (which I never did - BTW)

Maybe if one of them would have come out and got it done for me, that would have meant more business for them in the future, since unlike other snarky folks on this thread, I'm not very strong (at least not strong enough to hold up a 100 lb door to drill screws in the hinges for at the same time), or have carpentry and electricity skills.

I had figured something that only took about 15 minutes of my neighbor's time to do, would be a $50 job for a handyman to do also. I even supplied the parts!

Sorry, I'm not "cheap", but frugal and on my own paying all my own bills and just trying not to get ripped off.

The door is holding up fine by the way!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 AM

Aren't cheap and frugal the same thing?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin