Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:39 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I'd probably say a 7. Pretty good because the winter is short and doesn't last very long and the summer is mostly dry. One thing that bothers me is the lack of consistent rain from year to year (either very dry or very wet) and the constant change of temperatures in the winter. I mean a couple of weeks ago the highs were in the low 40's, now the highs are in the 80's. But I'll take that over the weather in the Northeast and Midwest - they are currently in the single digits right now.
This is something that does bother me some, and a good part of the reason I would give it a 5 rating. Austin has a true continental climate in that the weather is not modified by a large body of water. If you live within an hour of a coast (especially one that faces west,) your winters are less cold, your summers less hot, and hot and cold fronts are blunted by the heat-sink effect of the water. Here, you can have a warm day followed by a freezing night because a cold front suddenly rolled in. Someone on another thread said that Austin was something like Sacramento weather, and this is pretty true, as they also have no coastal influence, so swings are faster, and more extreme. Anyway, that is why I would give Santa Barbara close to a 10, because it is moderate all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:11 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Never been to Austin, but I've been to Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and a few smaller places. Seems like summer there would be rough.

I'm chiming in, as I am interviewing for a job in Austin. I'm desperate to get out of Alabama. And Austin is a great place, other than the heat, from everything I am hearing and reading. Humidity? Can it paralell Birmingham or Mobile, AL? Doubt it. It's a soup here for 3-4 solid months every year. And guess what? It's still humid in December, as we rarely get a cold front through here to wash out the Gulf Of Mexico moisture. I'll add to that: Alabama and Mississippi are the real Tornado Alley. I know the Southern Plains get their fair share, and more pub because you can see the storms. Here, the storms come at night, and are hidden by rain and trees and valleys.

So, I'd rate Birmingham's weather a 5, bc we do have a nice fall and spring. No higher because summer blows, and winter is just a gray, miserable 50 and wet. 60 inches of rain per year, sometimes coming down in sheets. Low wages, and lower education levels. I have to think Austin would beat this.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM

554 posts, read 1,061,021 times
7 or 8.

We do get a fair number of real cold days in the winter. The summer? I really don't mind the heat. Sure I prefer 90 instead of 105, but 105 is still way better than 40.

I can't find another decent progressive city in the US that has as good of a climate as Austin. That's why I moved here and have come back after retreating for a few months.

Now, I don't work an outside job, and ride an electric bike, rarely in a car. When it was 35 degrees with 20mph winds a few weeks ago, I was still out on my bike. I don't huddle up in ice cold AC in the summer though. 78-80 indoors, and just try to avoid being in the sun during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin