Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,407 times

Advertisements

Wait, what!

Will I still be able to roll up and smoke plastic bags at outdoor restaurant patios???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
According to a news story last night, paper bags are allowed as long as they meet certain criteria. Whole foods is offering paper bags that are made of 40% recycled material, which is apparently okay, due to customer demand for continuation of some type of bag. Other places will not offer that alternative, but it sounded like it was because they elected not to.

I'm not keen on the commonly-seen type of reusable bag. They have a strange feel to them, like a material not found in nature. But then, I never liked the floppy plastic bags either. I'm looking for something else. Maybe cardboard boxes for now.
In March 2013, businesses will be required to provide reusable bags at checkout. Options include:

Plastic bags: 4 mil in thickness or greater with handles
Paper bags: made of 40% recycled content with handles
Cloth or another type of reusable bag made out of durable materials

^That was straight off of the city website.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
I'm not keen on the commonly-seen type of reusable bag. They have a strange feel to them, like a material not found in nature. But then, I never liked the floppy plastic bags either. I'm looking for something else. Maybe cardboard boxes for now.
There are a variety of reusable bags, including canvas, net, woven plastic, non-woven plastic.

Some are washable, some are easily sterilized with a spritz of Clorox cleaner. It's really no big whup to find something that works for you. The first step is just to accept the reality. Given the price of gas I'm certainly not going to go out of my way to shop "over the border" where they still have throw-away bags.

As far as how many cities have banned plastic bags so far, this info-map may be of interest:

Plastic Bag Ban Map

Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
In March 2013, businesses will be required to provide reusable bags at checkout. Options include:

Plastic bags: 4 mil in thickness or greater with handles
Paper bags: made of 40% recycled content with handles
Cloth or another type of reusable bag made out of durable materials

^That was straight off of the city website.
"Provide" could mean free or $15 each or anything in between. Let's hope we don't see a bunch of 4 mil plastic bags blowing down the street or floating in the streams. That's heavier than a construction debris bag.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
People in Westlake are going to expect to get a bag to carry home something they purchase, like virtually everywhere else in the civilized world.
Just telling you my opinion as someone who lives there. I mean, that's why I asked them. I don't care much for the crappy plastic junk bags, and I doubt anyone in Westlake is going to bat an eye about having to pay for 4ml or paper bags if they don't bring their own.

So for me, anyway, I'd rather they adopt the Austin policy.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There are a variety of reusable bags, including canvas, net, woven plastic, non-woven plastic.

Some are washable, some are easily sterilized with a spritz of Clorox cleaner. It's really no big whup to find something that works for you. The first step is just to accept the reality.

Plastic Bag Ban Map
Yes, of course. If I gave the impression I'm not, that wasn't my intention. I'm okay with boxes until i get around to finding something I like. I'm truly capable of that, but it's not a high priority at the moment. If i must have a bag, I can always fall back on the drawerful of creepy-feeling reusable bags I've collected (for free) the past several years.

Also, I'm not one to worry about germs so much. I'm guessing that was brought up in response to someone else's post. I made no mention of it being a big whup or being concerned about bacteria.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,951 times
If HEB chooses not to offer any kind of free bag, then they should reduce their prices!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
If HEB chooses not to offer any kind of free bag, then they should reduce their prices!
That's fair. Whaddya think they're worth... 2 cents per bag?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I can see using the reusable ag when it comes to groceries..but what about retailers such as target, etc. no bag to carry non food items, wth? The target bag is not only convenient to carry items, i also reuse it for other purposes since its thick. I'll just shop outside of Austin entirely...

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM

198 posts, read 397,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I can see using the reusable ag when it comes to groceries..but what about retailers such as target, etc. no bag to carry non food items, wth? The target bag is not only convenient to carry items, i also reuse it for other purposes since its thick. I'll just shop outside of Austin entirely...
Good point. I've only been thinking in terms of grocery shopping. Guess the ban includes places like Old Navy, Dillards, Pier 1 etc? Hmmm what about going to Barton Creek and all the store bags. I could see that being a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin