Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:00 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times

Advertisements

We get your views. Not everyone agrees. It's not one thread, it's all of them.

So, take a break - you're talking to roughly the same 24 people. Otherwise, run for office and do something productive with your spew.

Oh, you really need to learn how to do the punctuation thing. More than 3 doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
We get your views. Not everyone agrees. It's not one thread, it's all of them.

So, take a break - you're talking to roughly the same 24 people. Otherwise, run for office and do something productive with your spew.

Oh, you really need to learn how to do the punctuation thing. More than 3 doesn't work.
You're getting off topic so I won't respond other than to say:

1 I'm discussing this on one currently active topic in Austin Thread. There are dozens of others I haven't posted in or have been on completely different topics.

2. People respond, I respond, it's a discussion. This is a forum is it not?

Forum: A medium for open discussion.

I make no apologies for my contributions to the discussion. They are sound, reasoned, logical, knowledgable, informed, informative, on-topic and passionate.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,319,407 times
Even though me and Komeht have disagreed before, I agree strongly with him in that Austin needs to aggressively pursue high density development, not Hoston/Phoenix style sprawl and ridiculous mega freeways.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:41 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Hey kid. It's "Kohmet and I"

And it's only the one active point because you keep pushing it.

Yes, there is absolute truth to the need for more central density and better transportation planning. What that has to do with a complete troll thread is what gets this totally off track.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:43 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
So, we're you just as irritated when the first words from the moon WEREN'T:

"Clear Lake, the Eagle has landed"?

One native Houstonian to another...
ARE YOU A NATIVE?!

At that time, there was a little "Dip Down" in the Houston City Limits to incorporate NASA. I always thought it was funny. It's not like that anymore.........

Same thing when I lived in a So Cal town which claimed it was ON the coast / beach......It WAS, but again, it was a "DIP Down / OVER" to include that particular area.

It's MUCH EASIER to say I'm from the HOUSTON AREA.................emphasis on AREA.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Touche!
And again......it was.....as far as I know..........Houston....NOT Clear Lake.

Look, I have family from ALL over that area.

My mom learned how to drive (at the age of twelve) on NASA land. My Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, etc. lived in La Porte, Shore Acres, Seabrook, Kemah, etc. I can't tell you how many times my parents drove by NASA on the way to my grandparents' house back in the '60s and '70s, but I knew it was in HOUSTON. I worked around that area when I was in High School. I'd like to think I KNOW what I'm talking about.

I do have some stories about visiting there..............

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I disagree with MtLion, as a former Houstonian and gulf coast raised kid myself. There is plenty of outdoor recreation available around Houston, with minor differences in the activities, due to the geography and different landscapes. There are plenty of water activities available. You can boat, ski, jetski, kayak, sailboat, surf (I know...only on good days) fish, etc...you can mountain bike in memorial park. Challenger Park in League City is a nice Park. Tomball and surrounding areas have some nice scenery. There is great birdwatching along the coast too. I'm not sure how dry air makes a park superior. The moisture in the air results in some very lush coastal parks. The only thing she lists that you can't do in Houston is climbing.
It COULD be argued that there are things in Houston to do that you can't do in Austin. You can't go to the Seawall and catch a Carnival Cruise or play at the new Boardwalk. You can't go to the Seafood shops and pick out what you would like to eat that was just caught that morning...Yum! And no matter the hue of the water, Lake Travis can't emulate the sounds of waves hitting the shore, and boat wakes don't count. I know some people don't consider hiking along a bayou or wetland a true "hike", I would disagree. There are camping opportunities as well. One of my most memorable was going camping up near Cleveland with my step-grandparents and hearing the alligators "talking" to each other at night

Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Generally speaking, the cost of living and housing prices are significantly lower in Houston than in Austin. I was born in Houston and spent close to a decade there. I've been in Austin since. I love real estate so I like to keep track of the housing market. I know of neighborhoods in Houston where you can get a 4,000 sq. ft. house for $250,000 and sometimes cheaper. That is extremely difficult to find in Austin. The houses in Austin are generally more expensive per square foot.

You're talking about SUBURBAN housing, and Austin Suburbs are much closer to the city and nicer than Houston suburbs.

Here is your $250,000 4000 sqft house in Houston:

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You're talking about SUBURBAN housing, and Austin Suburbs are much closer to the city and nicer than Houston suburbs.

I don't know where that photo is (I'd guess Katy prairie or near), but there are plenty of suburbs in Houston where you can get a newer home and still have plenty of trees around. So that is hardly your typical choice. I may as well take a pic of a cheesy suburban development in Manor, pawn it off as typical Austin suburbs while comparing it to something in the Woodlands or something... but I would try not to make such dumb comparisons and generalizations.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

Yeah, not true at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin