Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:31 PM

101 posts, read 193,477 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the USA. In every city, I was told that one should plan housing well in advance, especially in cities with tight markets. Landlords became suspicious if you wanted to move in too soon.

But in Austin, it seems nobody is willing to take you seriously unless you plan to move in next week. I've talked to many realtors. Is there an explanation for this inversion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
There's a 'head over heels in love' joke here somewhere; but I can't put my finger on the punch line.

Seriously, I guess there's only so much planning that can be done if you can't get the landlord to commit in advance. Maybe it's a 'bird in the hand' sort of thing. I should think a landlord would like to have a new tenant commitment some reasonable time prior to the current renter moving out.

You're finding this in SFH or apartments? There are a few landlords on C-D...perhaps they can offer some insight.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
For apartments, I suppose it means that they have people lining up to move in next week, so they aren't looking for longer commitment times. But I haven't rented in forever, so not sure.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:53 PM

I refer to rental homes.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,401,190 times
In a hot market like Austin's right now, a property owner isn't going to want to bypass a month or two of rental income to "hold" a property, when they have people calling that want to move in right now.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
I had a realtor to look at single family home rentals and while some were 'available now', the rest were 3-4 weeks out as there were current occupants that needed to move. I didn't have any issue with timing other than there were a few that were two months out for possession date and I had to be out of corporate housing earlier than that.

The issue was more with rental homes going in a matter of hours after being listed. Not much different than our experience buying a home here.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
In a hot market like Austin's right now, a property owner isn't going to want to bypass a month or two of rental income to "hold" a property, when they have people calling that want to move in right now.
Then how come there are other cities with hot markets where landlords demand that prospective tenants sign up years in advance?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM

11 posts, read 23,817 times
I think there is a difference between a tight market and a hot market. I've never heard of being required to enter a rental agreement years in advance and really I don't know who would want to. But then I have owned a home for 15 years now so maybe I'm out of the loop...

Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC70 View Post
I think there is a difference between a tight market and a hot market.
Explain please.

Quote:
I've never heard of being required to enter a rental agreement years in advance and really I don't know who would want to. But then I have owned a home for 15 years now so maybe I'm out of the loop...
I've lived in big cities where that was common practice.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:12 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicdad View Post
Then how come there are other cities with hot markets where landlords demand that prospective tenants sign up years in advance?
I've not heard of this. Only pre-leasing for fall in a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin