Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM

228 posts, read 483,224 times

Advertisements

Literally every rental is in a huge complex with pictures of pools and gym facilities. While that's cool for some people i'm wondering how to go about finding a stand alone house or apartment that is in a small building rather than a huge complex.

By looking at craigslist I would assume that Austin housing stock consists of brand new suburban florida style sprawl.

I want something with a little character that makes me feel like i'm living in an urban area.

Are all of the 2 bedroom rentals cookie-cutter bland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
The apartment complex spam on craigslist pretty much obliterates all the rest of the stuff. I would suggest using Padmapper, with a satellite view, and click on rentals which are obviously not huge complexes: http://padmapper.com

Also search for "Residential Rentals" on http://austinhomesearch.com -- you'll find condos, homes, duplexes, etc. The big apartment complexes typically aren't on the MLS.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:58 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Literally every rental is in a huge complex with pictures of pools and gym facilities. While that's cool for some people i'm wondering how to go about finding a stand alone house or apartment that is in a small building rather than a huge complex.

By looking at craigslist I would assume that Austin housing stock consists of brand new suburban florida style sprawl.

I want something with a little character that makes me feel like i'm living in an urban area.

usually people use an apartment locator. They are free to you and they really do work.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM

440 posts, read 714,541 times
If you are looking for houses a lot of them are posted through the real estate side of things. It's possible for an owner to lease by themselves, but it's far easier and less risky to use a property management company. Not even the biggest deposit will cover all damage if your tenants trash your house. Which is why you have to do a criminal and credit check on the people living there. Otherwise why would you let a stranger sit on $300k of your money?

Old 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post

Local? Budget? Area(s) of town interested in?

1. Craigslist is sketchy; unproductive way to search
2. The better (smaller/private-indiv owned) places don't mass advertise. They don't have to.
3. Sites listed before me.

Being able to canvas an area by car, bicycle or foot, enables you to discover the hidden gems out there.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:59 PM

81 posts, read 221,854 times
I post my garage apartment for rent on Craigslist, but that's just so it'll show up on Padmapper.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Finding a house to rent will probably be easier than the apartment you are picturing. There just aren't a lot of those in Austin. Most apartments are in larger complexes.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
In some neighborhoods, like Cherrywood, the landlords put out signs and mostly skip the ads.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountryheart View Post
If you are looking for houses a lot of them are posted through the real estate side of things. It's possible for an owner to lease by themselves, but it's far easier and less risky to use a property management company. Not even the biggest deposit will cover all damage if your tenants trash your house. Which is why you have to do a criminal and credit check on the people living there. Otherwise why would you let a stranger sit on $300k of your money?
A realtor can provide this service as well. For someone looking for a house to rent, engaging a realtor is a good idea. When we rented ours, I had a realtor list it and screen the applicants and the couple who ended up renting it had a realtor who was keeping an eye on new listings for them. They were the first to respond to the listing - we had 4 showings within 24 hours of hitting the MLS. Without a realtor, they probably wouldn't have gotten it.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 PM

32 posts, read 74,419 times
4+ years ago, my Partner and I engaged an apartment locator in our search along with culling Craigslist, AustinHomeSearch, and PadMapper. The locator tended to push the many new complexes that had come online around that time(Triangle, Red River Lofts, etc...), but like you, my Partner and I will avoid ant colony living if we can help it. Amongst all the crap on CL, we were lucky to find a redone two bedroom duplex in the Rosedale neighborhood that served as a fine first home in Austin.

Our search was essentially full time for 4 or 5 days(over Thanksgiving holiday). Just sharing our experience -- persevere through your frustration, diversify your search sources, and give it your full attention if possible. Good advice above about consulting MLS resources, especially AustinHomeSearch.

Also, as has been said in hundreds of similar threads, you should factor in work/activity location in your selection. Just being north of the river probably made a significant difference in commute times for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin