Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,628 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

first of all, I am really glad to have found this website. I would like very much to help me if you can.

I am an International Student would like to enroll to Capitol City Trade & Technical school to spend one year studying their HVAC program. (Is this school good or not?)

Also I would like to know if I will have difficulty in living or studying in Austin because I am a Muslim, also my wife wears full Hijab "including the face".

Please answer my as my program will start soon and I have to make a decision.

Thank You All,

Mohamed Tarhuni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:56 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
ahlan wa sahlan

Niqab and hijab will get you some looks, no doubt about it. Just hijab -- without covering the face -- doesn't get much more than a second glance. Most Texans are tolerant, but there are jerks everywhere. Austin has several large mosques as well as smaller ones near the University.

Capitol City Trade and Technical School has been around for a long long time. I don't know much about the quality of the program.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tarhuni View Post
Hello All,

I am an International Student would like to enroll to Capitol City Trade & Technical school to spend one year studying their HVAC program. (Is this school good or not?)
Are you sure that CCT&T is approved to participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program? From what I can tell, they aren't and you won't be able to get a student visa to attend there.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
ahlan wa sahlan

Niqab and hijab will get you some looks, no doubt about it. Just hijab -- without covering the face -- doesn't get much more than a second glance. Most Texans are tolerant, but there are jerks everywhere. Austin has several large mosques as well as smaller ones near the University. .

Thank you very much for this information. Just one more thing, Is there a better place that you advice me to go to instead of Austin, because you know, I have a lot of options. and Austin thing is not compulsory.

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Are you sure that CCT&T is approved to participate in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program? From what I can tell, they aren't and you won't be able to get a student visa to attend there.
Thanks for this info, I have contacted them and they cleared that out.

Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM

912 posts, read 1,286,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.tarhuni View Post
Thank you very much for this information. Just one more thing, Is there a better place that you advice me to go to instead of Austin, because you know, I have a lot of options. and Austin thing is not compulsory.

Thanks again.
I think Americans are going to be pretty uniformly uncomfortable with a woman with a covered face because our culture equates being able to talk to someone face to face with openness and trustworthiness. We're also an individualistic society and not being able to see someone's face is in conflict with that as well. I can't think of anywhere in the US where that wouldn't be true.

I see women in what seems to be religiously based attire pretty frequently in Austin and it really doesn't get a second look from me, even if they were covered except for their hands and face. I've never seen anyone with their face covered here and I think it would draw some attention.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
I have to agree with Mesmer. I think most people don't have a problem with religious dress, but this changes some when you can't see someone's face. It is an important part of American culture that we are able to see faces when we communicate. The English language is full of idioms indicating that: "look him in the eye"; " talk face to face"; "he has an honest face," etc. There is also some fear of people who cover their faces (I think from bandits with masks.) Some banks will not allow you to enter if you have your face covered. I think it will be difficult for your wife to make friends except at the Muslim Center. If that is OK with her, then perhaps it will be alright. It seems like bigger cities may see more of this and be more used to it, but that's just a guess on my part.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 14,587 times
Before you make your decision on a Capital Trade...there is also Central Texas AC and Refrigeration School at a fraction of the cost. The link is below

centraltexasacandrefrigerationschool.com

Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
cap-city is a scam...way over priced. the better, faster, and $32k cheaper way is a book for dummies.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I have never seen a fully covered Muslim woman around here, and lots of people may not like me for this, but you'll have to count me as one of the jerks in this city who doesn't trust extreme Muslims. I have to know people on an individual basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: