Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSmithTheAlien View Post
I think you're right. I was actually looking to transition into being a Financial Analyst at F500 company. I don't want to work on Wall Street unless I have to.
If you haven't yet done so, you might want to apply to UTIMCO and UT Systems.

http://www.pionline.com/article/20130417/DAILYREG/130419896

The permanent fund for UT is managed from the UT Systems complex located in downtown Austin, main building on Colorado St.

The permanent fund is HUGE and now booming with all the income being derived from UT lands where oil and gas extraction ("fracking") is occurring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:28 AM

10 posts, read 15,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
If you haven't yet done so, you might want to apply to UTIMCO and UT Systems.

http://www.pionline.com/article/20130417/DAILYREG/130419896

The permanent fund for UT is managed from the UT Systems complex located in downtown Austin, main building on Colorado St.

The permanent fund is HUGE and now booming with all the income being derived from UT lands where oil and gas extraction ("fracking") is occurring.

Thank you :-) I did, many times. I've not received a call back, ever. I think they want a UT grad.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 15,277 times
Does anyone know how I can get a job related to energy / commodities? I really want to work for an oil company or in agri-business. I really came to Austin because I wanted to get away from the "paper economy." I don't want to open a philosophical debate about the future of this country but I think it's going to be in energy and agriculture.

I've applied to various jobs on AgCareers.com - Agriculture Jobs & Agriculture Careers but I've yet to even receive a phone call.

Last edited by RogerSmithTheAlien; 04-30-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 13,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yep, I'd guess Dallas is probably the best place in TX for finance jobs. Houston would be next, and it's not just Energy there... Medical is huge too.
What about the accountant jobs? Probably accountant position more spread than finance job...

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,011 times
while UTIMCO is located in Austin I believe the people that do a lot of the financial work are actually spread all around the state....I am positive a lot of the people dealing with energy and oil and gas leasing are in Midland and I am sure there are a number of others in Houston and dallas.....I am not sure Bruce Zimmerman, CEO of UTIMCO even lives in Austin full time (he might, but I am pretty sure he spends a lot of time in Houston as well) and others live in many places some probably out of Texas even

UTIMCO is not like a large investment company like JD Wentworth or Edward Jones where they need tons of people to handle even more individuals wealth and to service those clients.....UTIMCO is more of an overseer that can farm out alot of other things or even contract with other investment and financial advisers.....yes they have a lot of people on staff, but the real financial people set a direction and then there are a number of ways they cane execute that without a great deal of other staff full time

if you want to trade energy then Houston still has some trading going on and also they have some trading going on in less known things as well like chemicals and plastics and there is probably a bit of dabbling in things like internet fiber time, trash and recyclables (Houston has a large international waste industry) sulfur and even by/co-products from fishing and other natural resource operations (Omega Protein, Inc) and rice and sugar as well

as for agriculture Chicago, KC, and the like will be your best bet, but you would be surprised what is traded in places all over the USA.....Memphis and west Texas for Cotton, corn all over the midwest and on and on.......you will have to figure out a way to get in with an elevator and move up through Bunge or Cargill or the like or get on with Imperial Sugar, Ricetec (or whoever they are now)

you can also try and get in with one of the ethanol plants as they buy corn, sell DDGs and WDGs, oils, and of course ethanol....to get in you have to be willing to start at the bottom and prove you can rapidly learn the specific industry

Austin is not the best place in Texas for finance Midland would probably actually be better than Austin even

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 AM

404 posts, read 712,288 times
impossible!

Austin has the best job market in the solar system. Also the best music, best food, best place to raise a family, best housing market, best nightlife... need I go on?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
impossible!

Austin has the best job market in the solar system. Also the best music, best food, best place to raise a family, best housing market, best nightlife... need I go on?
You forgot best weather and best outdoor lifestyle scene.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM

163 posts, read 408,875 times
If you want to work in oil, get thee to Houston. There are some nice areas there, and they have a good symphony, more museums, etc. But a word of advice: don't move without a job again. I can't imagine doing that, but I'm very careful.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSmithTheAlien View Post
I moved here from the SF Bay Area because of all the jobs available in Austin. I've been here for over 6 months and I've yet to find one. I have a Master's in Finance from a top school + 2yrs experience so I wasn't expecting it to be this bad. Exactly what types of jobs are people moving here for? I don't suppose these are high paying jobs in finance?
I don't mean to be rude, but I have to wonder: I understand wanting to be in the city where you expect to find a job, but how does someone with a Masters in Finance from a top school + 2yrs experience move to a city without researching job prospects in the specific field in that city?

About local addresses and phone numbers in the resume: It is unlikely any candidate currently employed can fool a prospective employer about where the candidate presently lives: A simple web search for the candidate's current employer or the candidate's web footprint (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) easily gives away the candidate's current location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
If I thought a local address would be helpful, I'd consider looking up a big apartment building and using that address rather than getting a PO box. These days, how often does anything get mailed to you until after you've interviewed and been offered the job? At that point you can get the PO box or a real address and give it to the employer with the paperwork. Nobody would ever notice the discrepancy, and if they did, just say you were staying with a friend in that building temporarily while new in town.
Smart employer's don't care where good candidates presently live, but they do care about phony/irrelevant local addresses. A local PO Box address only says you are not local (yes, unfortunately, even if you are local); a local address/phone number when it is clear you live elsewhere can only make things worse. How would you truthfully explain your local address/number in the interview?

My suggestion is to simply state in the cover letter that you are willing to appear for an in-person interview provided an initial phone/Skype interview suggests an in-person interview.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
You forgot best weather and best outdoor lifestyle scene.
Yeah, but the NIMBYs have all the jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin