Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
1. I kinda doubt most old folks are voting for bond packages. Every person I know over 50 has a "F the government" attitude. Maybe I just know alot of grumpy old people :-)
2. I'm not sure that rent has a direct relationship to property tax. I think rent is set by the market, which has more to do with supply and demand than a small percentage of the cost of property. I am not a landlord, and I'm sure if I were I'd want to be able to raise rent when the taxes increase, but I don't know that it's the biggest driving factor.
(oops - I just noticed I replied to two year old post)

You need a wider circle of friends. I am 50+ and most people I know (who are similar age) evaluate each and every tax issue on its own merits. Some are good, some are not.

I have been part of several citizens committees involved in school bonds for LTISD, which includes Lakeway. Lakeway is much younger today than it was, but there are many older folks still in the area. And they do not simply vote No to all school bonds. It is up the school district to make their case for the money.

I don't live in the city - but I would absolutely have voted against the last rail proposal. It was bad bad bad. But I would support many things that Austin needs more money for - such as roads.

For the OP - the over 65 exemption probably has a small overall effect on property tax revenue. It only affects school taxes, and it doesn't save an over 65 any money at all when they purchase property.

I think the #1 thing that needs to change is to pass a law that prevents taxing entities from automatically increasing their budgets because of rising property values. Austin, Travis County, etc. should not simply have extra money to spend because property values rose 11% last year. Above a threshold set by law, they should have to go to voters for any additional revenue or tax rates have to reset automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:09 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

I think the #1 thing that needs to change is to pass a law that prevents taxing entities from automatically increasing their budgets because of rising property values. Austin, Travis County, etc. should not simply have extra money to spend because property values rose 11% last year. Above a threshold set by law, they should have to go to voters for any additional revenue or tax rates have to reset automatically.
That's already the case. Austin can't just increase the budget 11%, if they do that, there will be a rollback election.

Now, the trigger isn't a totally flat budget of course, that doesn't make sense.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Former Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector (and now State Senator) Paul Bettancourt has introduced a bill -- SB 182 -- that would dramatically change how rollback elections are conducted. First change is that when the new rate exceeds the rollback rate, the election would be automatic. Today, they require petitions, then the taxing body can call an election. Second change would be that the rate would be 6%, vice the 8% today (with some exceptions in calculating that rate). Needless to say, the taxing bodies are howling. They like the automatic increase in spendable revenues.

But I doubt it is going anywhere. Hearing last month, nothing since. Probably dead for this session.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
But I doubt it is going anywhere. Hearing last month, nothing since. Probably dead for this session.
For or against, it makes sense to discuss - hence our legislators are instead dealing other 'major' issues, like same-sex couples and whatnot :/.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
First change is that when the new rate exceeds the rollback rate, the election would be automatic. Today, they require petitions, then the taxing body can call an election.
To clarify, petitions are required for some taxing entities, but are automatic for ISDs today.

And the petition is so easy, and the taxing entities so in fear of it, that the taxing entities "never" exceed the rollback rate. Seriously, when was the last time Austin did it?

Truth-in-Taxation: Tax Rate Adoption
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin