Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 71,799 times

Advertisements

Hi Austin forum We live in DFW and are somewhat familiar with the Austin area.We have visited numerous times,explored and loved it.I am 33 my husband is 36, we have a one year old.My husband has the opportunity to transfer to Austin from the Dallas area.I am very curious to see if there would be an area in Austin or a suburb that would fit our needs as much as where we are now,before we even consider it.Husbands work commute will be central Austin,I work from home part time.We have friends in Circle C and have visited them a few times since they moved there.We really like Circle C,but have never been to Steiner Ranch or the suburb of Cedar Park.From what I have read on here,we should consider those areas as well.

- Work commute to central Austin,looking for 35 minutes or less
- Budget is under $300,000
- Low crime area/ Great schools
- Decent size yard,neighborhood where houses are not on top of each other
- Close to places we frequently go to(within a 15 minute drive)....WholeFoods,Trader Joes,Central Market,Starbucks,Sprouts,Costco
- Neighborhood with other Professionals/families in the neighborhood
- Neighborhood with amenities...jogging trails,pool,tennis courts
- Newest construction possible

A few specific questions....

- What are the property tax rates in Circle C,Steiner Ranch and Cedar Park?
- Is there any major difference in water rates?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated,thank you in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,712 times
I just moved to Circle C from Florida in February and traffic if very much a crap shoot depending on your schedule. I am lucky and work 7-4 most days and I can get to or from home in about 20 minutes on the MOPAC from about 15th street. When I have to leave late though it ranges from 35-45 minutes.

Not sure about all the places you mentioned but I know Starbucks is in walking/biking distance depending on which area of Circle C and Costco is less than 5 miles away. I don't think WholeFoods or Central Market is far b/c my wife goes there but I don't know where they are.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
It is like comparing Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and Nissan Sentras! More alike than different. You can get more for less in Cedar Park but will pay for it with the commute.

SW Austin is probably your best bet, might take work/great realtor to find something below 300K, not sure what the entry point is at Steiner.

In terms of commute, SW Austin (Circle C), also wins on proximity of shopping etc. Newest and lowest price will be Cedar Park but worst drive.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,958 times
Where in "Central Austin"?

(I've heard folks here say 45th is Central)

Of course we haven't heard from the OP in 2 months.....maybe she decided to move to Manor.

& (to the other poster) it's Mopac......not "the Mopac". ;(

Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 AM

46 posts, read 66,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

& (to the other poster) it's Mopac......not "the Mopac". ;(
I dunno, maybe instead of driving, he's hitching a ride on the Mopac (freight train line).

Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
You're going to have a really hard time finding something in Circle C or Steiner for $300K. The houses you can find are going to have really, really small lots and the house will be relatively small as well.

Cedar Park is less expensive, but that is because it is farther out than Circle C or Steiner. You can find more in your price range, but there is no way you would get to central Austin at rush hour in 35 minutes. Actually, there's no way you would get to central Austin during rush hour in 35 minutes from any of those places, but Circle C would be closest.

All have a lot of stores an amenities nearby. Circle C is the only one with a Whole Foods and it is closest to Central Market. I know people think we have them on every corner, but there are only 2 Central Markets in Austin and only 4 Whole Foods and 3 Sprouts. We don't have any Trader Joe's in Austin.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We don't have any Trader Joe's in Austin.
Yet. First one opens this late summer/fall in Rollingwood (15 min from Circle C), next one in the fall at the Arboretum (183 & 360), third in 2014 downtown.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:49 AM

737 posts, read 1,582,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
You're going to have a really hard time finding something in Circle C or Steiner for $300K. The houses you can find are going to have really, really small lots and the house will be relatively small as well.

Cedar Park is less expensive, but that is because it is farther out than Circle C or Steiner. You can find more in your price range, but there is no way you would get to central Austin at rush hour in 35 minutes. Actually, there's no way you would get to central Austin during rush hour in 35 minutes from any of those places, but Circle C would be closest.

All have a lot of stores an amenities nearby. Circle C is the only one with a Whole Foods and it is closest to Central Market. I know people think we have them on every corner, but there are only 2 Central Markets in Austin and only 4 Whole Foods and 3 Sprouts. We don't have any Trader Joe's in Austin.

This needs to be rephrased- you're going to have a hard time finding something you LIKE in these places that is not outdated or does not have multiple offers cause it's not super outdated.
You CAN find houses under 300k that are around 2500 sq feet, but they need help.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM

625 posts, read 1,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It is like comparing Honda Accords, Toyota Camrys, and Nissan Sentras! More alike than different. You can get more for less in Cedar Park but will pay for it with the commute.

SW Austin is probably your best bet, might take work/great realtor to find something below 300K, not sure what the entry point is at Steiner.

In terms of commute, SW Austin (Circle C), also wins on proximity of shopping etc. Newest and lowest price will be Cedar Park but worst drive.

Hold on. Like the car analogy, but I'd wager it's a deeper argument for those living there. For them, there is a noticeable difference between say a Yukon and a Escalade, or a Camry/Avalon to a Lexus.

Same frame, but different badging and appointments.

Always seems to be CC vs SR in a caged death match.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:50 PM

440 posts, read 714,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair44 View Post
Always seems to be CC vs SR in a caged death match.
If you want quick access to Mopac/downtown, CC wins.

If you want quick access to 620/183/183 & Mopac,SR wins.

Surely there are more 'hoods to consider?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin