Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times

Advertisements

Yep, that would probably be the best thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Yes , there is no natural beauty in Dallas but how can a town like Austin even compare itself to the Dallas. Its the old case of getting too big for your britches

Old 11-13-2007, 05:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Dallas is FAR better. It has everything and it is still growing. They are building some massive out doors wilderness place on the trinity river, it is called Trinity River Project. That should have Austin beat now that dallas is becoming more outdoorsy.

The only worse thing about dallas are the ROADS and construction and probably the crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbon7462 View Post
so are you saying dallas is a better place???..........hey I am a californian...is that a bad thing?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Trinity River Project will be completed in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Yes , there is no natural beauty in Dallas but how can a town like Austin even compare itself to the Dallas. Its the old case of getting too big for your britches

Old 11-13-2007, 11:29 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
You mean they've gotten the sewage smell out of the Trinity? That's good. It was so awful, you could smell it from inside your car on the highway...

Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM

12 posts, read 36,366 times
I think Texastea does a great job of breaking down Austin and Dallas across categories on page 1 of this thread. Kudos.

As a despised former Californian (NorCal), I find the pretentiousness found in Dallas is very similar to the pretentiousness found in L.A. Compared to Austin, Dallas puts a greater value on appearances and consumption. It's amazing how much dyed platinum blond hair and silicone lives in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Given how trendy Austin has become over the last decade, I think Austin is now more pretentious than Dallas because of the smug attitude of people who live in Austin. I'm not talking about people here, I'm just talking in generalities. People who live in Austin seem to think they're part of something "great" when really all they're doing is living in a hilly, humid city in central Texas.
Exactly how is living in a hilly humid city in Texas inferior to living in a flat, even more humid city in Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Dallas is FAR better. It has everything and it is still growing. They are building some massive out doors wilderness place on the trinity river, it is called Trinity River Project. That should have Austin beat now that dallas is becoming more outdoorsy.

The only worse thing about dallas are the ROADS and construction and probably the crime.
The idea that "wilderness" can be "built" is extremely amusing. Dallas' shiny new manmade wilderness will not be able to "beat" Austin's collective outdoor assets: Town Lake, Barton Springs, the various creeks and trails that connect to Town Lake, the surrounding hill country, etc.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
IMO Dallas has lots of phoney wannabe's and Austin has lots of phoney wannabe wannabe's.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rob View Post
I think Texastea does a great job of breaking down Austin and Dallas across categories on page 1 of this thread. Kudos.

As a despised former Californian (NorCal), I find the pretentiousness found in Dallas is very similar to the pretentiousness found in L.A. Compared to Austin, Dallas puts a greater value on appearances and consumption. It's amazing how much dyed platinum blond hair and silicone lives in Dallas.
You get that in Austin too, and whether it's dyed hair and silicone or hairy legs and jello dreds, to me it's all a bunch of fakers.

Quote:
Exactly how is living in a hilly humid city in Texas inferior to living in a flat, even more humid city in Texas?
There's more to do here (in Dallas).

Old 11-25-2007, 04:22 PM

242 posts, read 827,414 times
What is the distance between the two?...would it be easy to travel to Dallas occasionally?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
It's not too far to travel occassionally. We go several times a year. It's about 3 to 4 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin