Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 AM

9 posts, read 9,236 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Austin Texas. I have 4 children ages 9-17. Where is the best place to live in the Austin area, Round Rock etc.. Kids are very active in sports. School is most important. Don't want a far cummute. Any specific towns and or developments?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Where will you work (i.e. nearest major intersection)?

What is your price range (you may be one of the few that are not surprised by property taxes )?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Especially hailing from some of the unique environments the Northeast contains, you may have adjust to the Texas culture and environment more than most Americans. My advice is to visit the Austin-area and see which areas look best and/or culturally feel 'right' for you. The city of Austin has grown leaps and bounds and many people enjoy Central, Northwest, and Southwest Austin in particular. In terms of suburbia, the most popular places are Round Rock to the North, (and moving into the Texas Hill Country) West Lake Hills to the near West, and Lake Travis area to the far west. All areas have received high recommendations from other transplants. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM

taxes are the reason we need to leave the NE. Texas taxes are high a well but the home prices are much much lower in Texas. I paid 700k for my house in Jersey 10urs ago. The same house in Texas is 250-300k!
I am aware of the cultural change but people are people, we will manage. More importantly I have 4 kids who are heavy into sports and school. We currently live in a very low crime area, great schools but just too expansive for college and the cost of living is outrageous. Did I mention the horrible winters?
I will be visiting in 2 weeks. What towns should I be looking at? Don't want to be in the sticks (we have sticks in jersey as well). Looking for a family kind of town.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM

51 posts, read 95,804 times
I'll second the the importance of the location within the area where you work, and also an idea of your price range, and ability to support the taxes. Austin is a large city in terms of territorial size as well as growing population, all of which contribute to big variances in commute times to your job.

For example, if you were to work in Northwest Austin, you could consider places like Round Rock and Cedar Park which meet your stated requirements, or West Lake Hills / Westlake area, which is a pricier area from a housing perspective (I assume you are interested in buying).

Having come from the Northeast myself, I would not worry myself over what some may perceive as cultural changes. In Austin, and most of the cities in the Texas triangle, every day lifestyle and culture you will find is not that much different than other parts of the US.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:46 AM

51 posts, read 95,804 times
I'll second the the importance of the location within the area where you work, and also an idea of your price range, and ability to support the taxes. Austin is a large city in terms of territorial size as well as growing population, all of which contribute to big variances in commute times to your job.

For example, if you were to work in Northwest Austin, you could consider places like Round Rock and Cedar Park which meet your stated requirements, or West Lake Hills / Westlake area, which is a pricier area from a housing perspective (I assume you are interested in buying).

Having come from the Northeast myself, I would not worry myself over what some may perceive as cultural changes. In Austin, and most of the cities in the Texas triangle, every day lifestyle and culture you will find is not that much different than other parts of the US.

----

PS: OP, I just saw your reply after I submitted this. Based on what you have stated, you should check out Cedar Park, especially if you working downtown or North. My in-laws recently moved there from Maryland, and are raising kids.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
[quote=Trainwreck20;30657382]Where will you work (i.e. nearest major intersection)?/quote]

^^^^^ Ditto that.

Read the "Welcome to Austin" sticky thread at the top of the forum. Lots of essential information there. There are good neighborhoods to live in all over town, low crime in most areas, schools tend to be better on the west sides of town in Austin.

If you tell as what part of town you will be working in we can make more specific recommendations.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM

The job is in the North/North West part of Austin. I will actually look to rent a house 1st, just to make sure we are in the area we want to be in. If buying it would be in the 250-350 price range.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:28 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
With four kids, I assume that you are looking for a 4 or 5 bdrm house? Anyway, larger houses in that price range with a short commute and good schools - Cedar Park comes to mind first, Leander a little further our, possibly west Round Rock, as well.

For commute: You will want to stay north of the river (generally speaking, unless you LOVE commuting in traffic) and probably west of the interstate.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:37 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
With four kids, I assume that you are looking for a 4 or 5 bdrm house? Anyway, larger houses in that price range with a short commute and good schools - Cedar Park comes to mind first, Leander a little further our, possibly west Round Rock, as well.

For commute: You will want to stay north of the river (generally speaking, unless you LOVE commuting in traffic) and probably west of the interstate.
If you wanted to really experience central Austin and its environs, within the $700k range, West Lake Hills with the exemplary Eanes ISD [near southwest] would fit the bill along with West Austin neighborhoods like Tarrytown, Deep Eddy, and Bryker Woods. For large homes from $400-550k, Central Austin neighborhoods such as Allandale and Rosedale would be excellent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin