Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times

Advertisements

Bet that will get a lot of people's attention...

Okay, those of you who frequent this place probably have noticed my recent pet-centric posts - will the bugs eat my cats, what are the limits on pets, etc. Seeing a theme yet?

Well... I'm not a crazy cat lady, but... I worked in rescue for 6 years and managed to accumulate.... 7 cats and a dog. I no longer foster obviously.

For the record no my house is not soaked in cat urine and it doesn't smell. I've had people over who didn't even realize I had cats until they had been here an hour or so and one or two appeared. Madison, WI doesn't have a pet limit so I've been fine here.

As far as I can tell Austin doesn't have one either, but obviously hoa's do. My question is, if my house is cleaner than my neighbor with 2 kids, will someone turn me in and make me move? Are there areas where people "live and let live" as long as my cats don't go outside and there is no "evidence" of them other than sunning in the window sills? I don't want to live in a seedy area.

I've always assumed that no one would care if it didn't impact them, but I don't want to take a chance when it comes to something as big as buying a house.

My sister agreed to come with me in May/June so I'm also curious about realtors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 10:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
There's always someone who thinks their job in life is upholding the HOA laws.
Don't assume folks will dismiss it.

Think of what you would do if you got turned in ?? move or get rid of several of your pets ??

IMO I think you should just find a place with no HOA or HOA rules that don't limit the number of cats. Then you don't have to live in fear of the commando's

Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Bet that will get a lot of people's attention...

Okay, those of you who frequent this place probably have noticed my recent pet-centric posts - will the bugs eat my cats, what are the limits on pets, etc. Seeing a theme yet?

Well... I'm not a crazy cat lady, but... I worked in rescue for 6 years and managed to accumulate.... 7 cats and a dog. I no longer foster obviously.

For the record no my house is not soaked in cat urine and it doesn't smell. I've had people over who didn't even realize I had cats until they had been here an hour or so and one or two appeared. Madison, WI doesn't have a pet limit so I've been fine here.

As far as I can tell Austin doesn't have one either, but obviously hoa's do. My question is, if my house is cleaner than my neighbor with 2 kids, will someone turn me in and make me move? Are there areas where people "live and let live" as long as my cats don't go outside and there is no "evidence" of them other than sunning in the window sills? I don't want to live in a seedy area.

I've always assumed that no one would care if it didn't impact them, but I don't want to take a chance when it comes to something as big as buying a house.

My sister agreed to come with me in May/June so I'm also curious about realtors.
I don't think it would bother me if you lived in my area, I just couldn't come over because I'm allergic to cats. Ha! I think if they were loose in the neighborhood you would probably get complaints but if they are locked up tight who would know?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:35 AM

290 posts, read 1,181,260 times
"crazy cat lady" LOL....

Old 11-11-2007, 09:47 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Madison, WI doesn't have a pet limit so I've been fine here.
Most HOA associations have a 4 pet limit, with the stipulation there there may be no more than 3 dogs or 3 cats. (so you can't have 4 dogs, but you can have 3 dogs and 1 cat, etc.) Every time I sell a house in a new neighborhood, I make sure to check on that. Some have weight limits and breed restrictions as well, though that's more common in condo or townhome settings.

Older neighborhoods don't have HOAs, but I'm not sure whether or not any city ordinances exist regarding limits on the number of pets. There are rules on how you maintain and keep your pets though. (no dogs tied to chains anymore - must be a fenced area or pen) Also, in more rural suburbs, small pets are often the target of wild prey such as coyotes and foxes.

Quote:
If they are indoor cats, it probably would not be noticed by your neighbors. If you decide to rent instead of buy, you won't find any professional property managers or apartment complexes willing to accept 8 pets. You might find a private owner willing to do it though.

Steve

Old 11-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks to everyone for the feed back so far. Actually one more point in favor of Austin for me is that it seems to have a fairly active animal welfare community.

Sometimes HOA's grant exceptions, don't they? I wonder if I could get a humane officer from the local HS to come out and write a report would help. I was able to put in a little fenced area in my back yard for Monty (my dog) by asking the HOA where I currently live. You know, it's funny, I built my house and so I'm one of the original residents and I don't even know of the HOA rules have a pet limit here. People in Madison are pretty laid back about things like that as long as it doesn't impact them which is what I was hoping for in Austin. I suppose it doesn't hurt that I'm not really all that chummy with the neighbors so very few have made it into my house. They have commented, however, on the number of cats sitting in the windows so I couldn't really hide it and if someone wanted to be a stinker I'd be sunk.

I wonder if perhaps they'd grant me an exception once I was there and people saw that my house is not one that would conjure images of SPCA storm troopers swarming the neighborhood clad in gas masks and toting those poles they use to lasso feral cats and dogs. It would probably be more likely once I was settled in, but then again, once I was settled in I'd rather not have to move. Giving up the cats is not an option.

Four is a pretty liberal number to allow. Honestly I don't think anyone really should have more than 4 cats and definitely not more than 4 dogs unless they have acreage. I'm going to let attrition get me down to that point, but my oldest two are only 10 so it is going to be several years down the line.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:45 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
There are lots of great areas -- really great areas -- in Austin with no HOA. Nothing to do with pets necessarily, but just lots of people living off the beaten path just a little bit. People who want to paint their house purple, maybe landscape their yard a little creatively, etc. Places that are safe and family friendly, but not your 100%-young-families-with-2.5-kids new gated communities.

Is it just a particular community you are looking at, or are you going to check out all places? If you are looking, definitely check out some of the areas with no HOA, but perhaps just a neighborhood association. The houses may be a little more expensive, but consider the HOA fees you will save. And your neighbors won't hassle you if you aren't bothering them. I think this would be the case with most neighbors, but when you introduce the status-quo police in the form of an HOA... well, people by nature are cliquish and judgemental, and you will often see the expected results.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 PM

I'm not looking anywhere in particular. I'd rather live in a neighborhood where there are no restrictions as it seems kind of odd. There wasn't one in the neighborhood I grew up in and the neighborhood I live in now doesn't really enforce any of the "rules" which is just fine with me. No one does anything too crazy.

And, no, as a 40 year old single woman with no children, living in suburbia is not my big goal in life. Housing appears to be more affordable there however...

I'm looking a 200,000 max. Looking through austinhomesearch.com it appeared at first that there were tons of nice homes in my price range. Not the 1950's house with arched doorways and nice woodwork I'd like perhaps, but nice homes all the same. Since then I've read things here that make it sound as if the housing market is very similar to where I am now.

I'd rather not get too far out of Austin as Austin is the reason I'd be moving down there. Where I live now would be perfect if it weren't for the weather. I guess I'm looking for a change in scenery, but not the flavor of where I live.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
I'm looking a 200,000 max. Looking through austinhomesearch.com it appeared at first that there were tons of nice homes in my price range.
Your price range would put you in a decent 1970s/1980s home in South Austin for $100 to $120 per sqft. The Cherry Creek areas off Westgate would be a good place to start. No HOAs, mostly laid back people.

Steve

Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
You are, according to my casual interpretation of the press, looking in a good price range. The sub 200k is supposedly hurting, so I am assuming you can get a better deal. A friend just sold his house off of Brodie and Wm Cannon area for $169k. It is 1564 ft2 and the 'market appraised value' use by the city was $140k. The selling price was $108/ft and ~20% above what the city was taxing it at. It is a late 70s house and there are no HOAs in the area that I know of (not active, anyway). Its main drawback was that its back fence was facing Brodie Ln and the high percent of renters in the neighborhood. Surprisingly, there was not much noise, but, of course, buyers aren't going to believe that . On the other hand, it was in a culdesac and had a huge backyard.

In N. Austin, I think there are some similar sized houses off of Duval, also 70s era. If you do not mind backing up to the MoPac, you can get some good deals for being in pretty close (Duval/183 area). I lived there for years, and my cat did not care at all about the trains (nor did I). Some people would be bothered, so it all depends on what would bother you. Again, you end up with a larger than average backyard due to backing up to the RR. Definitely, no intrusive HOA rules there....a couple of horses in the neighborhood and my cat visited all the retirees during the day, then came home at night for food and shelter . Someone did have a pot belly pig, too. Most of the neighborhood is 'curbless', and the big lots with the horses are not going to be the ones for <200k .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: