Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM

35 posts, read 70,407 times

Advertisements

Hi, we'll move to Austin soon, have children in middle school who would like to take either swim or tennis for off campus PE credit. It seems like we need to join a swim team to qualify. My kids had learned to swim, and able to swim all 4 strokes (one better than the othesr), and never in a team before. We would like to join a team that give some individual attention, and not so competitive in Cedar Park, affordable, and shorest distance if possible. My goal is for them to make friends and have fun while exercising.

From what I read, Cedar Park Swimming (Elizabeth Milburn Pool) and Twin Creek are the closet, a little farther away is Nitro. I would love to hear you guy inputs esp. those that has try them.

About tennis, mine just start out learning tennis, and probably not well enough yet. I havent research about tennis, and dont know if they would be able to use tennis with that level to have off campus PE credit. Please give some recommendation also.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:33 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
To qualify for a PE waiver, you'll need to speak to the school administration to find out what the requirements are. My kids have done this through high school. Typically your child must participate a certain number of hours per week and the coach will have to sign a document.

As for swimming, you really should visit each of these programs, meet the coaches, and watch a practice or two. In the past Cedar Park swimming has had good coaching, but I don't know who is there now. I think Twin Creeks is a step down. Nitro is a very large and well run swim team. Do not think that because they are large that your child will get lost. They are attentive and have a lot of very good coaches. Nitro is indoors of course which you may like during winter. Texas Gold might be worth consideration too. Micah Lawrence, who recently swam at the World Championships in Barcelona, trained at Texas Gold.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
It depends on the school district but usually everything has to be set up, paperwork signed, and returned to the district office by the first day of school. Not sure if every district allows PE waivers for middle school, definitely for high school.

What is wrong with regular PE? Simpler for you (no driving to activities, in AISD you have to attend the outside athletic event 3 x a week), and kids learn many different sports and many different athletic skills.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB1 View Post
Hi, we'll move to Austin soon, have children in middle school who would like to take either swim or tennis for off campus PE credit. It seems like we need to join a swim team to qualify. My kids had learned to swim, and able to swim all 4 strokes (one better than the othesr), and never in a team before. We would like to join a team that give some individual attention, and not so competitive in Cedar Park, affordable, and shorest distance if possible. My goal is for them to make friends and have fun while exercising.

From what I read, Cedar Park Swimming (Elizabeth Milburn Pool) and Twin Creek are the closet, a little farther away is Nitro. I would love to hear you guy inputs esp. those that has try them.

About tennis, mine just start out learning tennis, and probably not well enough yet. I havent research about tennis, and dont know if they would be able to use tennis with that level to have off campus PE credit. Please give some recommendation also.

Thank you very much.
- Where will you be living?
- Lots of good info in the posts above. I've heard good things about Nitro.
- What did you want to know (or what did you want recommended) regarding tennis?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
...and 10scoachrick is late.....

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...and 10scoachrick is late.....
Well, the 'late' tennis coach Rick is retired...otherwise, he'd jump right in!

Tennis on the north-north side is somewhat scarce. We have 5 courts at Avery Ranch; but the instructors are independent...no program on site. I would expect something at WilCo off Sam Bass/1431; but I'm not aware of tennis programs in the OP area...cute little two-court venues in some of the pocket parks; but no tennis centers around there. The high schools have some of the nicest facilities; but I'm not familiar with any programs on their courts.

I could string the heck out of their rackets and tell some stories about the 'old days'; but I'm afraid I'm out of the loop for current north-north tennis programs. (Who knows?...Maybe this carefree townhome living will provide the incentive to return to the courts; but I'm not feeling it when it's 103 out there!)

Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
What is wrong with regular PE? Simpler for you (no driving to activities, in AISD you have to attend the outside athletic event 3 x a week), and kids learn many different sports and many different athletic skills.
If your child participates in a sport that takes lots of time (such as swimming) then it makes perfect sense not to take PE. Two of my kids were year round swimmers and they got plenty of exercise. Another child was a diver and she had a PE waiver. Not the right choice for everyone. But a good one for some.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM

Thank you all for your input. Here is to answer some of your question. I live in the area of Anderson Mill and Cypress creek, and already checked with Leander ISD for off campus PE credit. All teams that I mentioned will be approved.

My kids are really not into any sports, and reg. PE is fine; they still have fun and learn but not really good at any things. I think swimming is a good skill to have,and they like it more than other sports. I dont want them to feel like doing a chore when asking them to practice. Joining a team, hopefully to make more friend with the same interest and having fun while learning. However, it is a full year commitment; I want to find one that is a good fit for them. Because we never join a team of any sport before, I dont really know how to access a team. I'm thinking to ask the coach for trying out for may be a few days or a week. Do you think that is one of the options? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,547,088 times
As much as I think kids 'should' play tennis, it's awfully lonely on that court...especially at a low skill level(you said they are 'not really good at any things'). Middle school age is a great developmental time; kids can come out of their shells and excel in the most surprising ways. I actually didn't play tennis until high school...and then I taught myself. Who knows what might have happened if I had started a couple of years earlier?

Any sport that teaches balance and movement is good at that time, but introducing an 'object' adds to the difficulty AND the reward, IMO. TWO objects (racket and ball, for example) will make it that much more challenging. As cliche' as it might be, I'd put my youngster in some sort of martial arts program along with swimming and possibly cross-country running.

On the other hand, I don't have kids; I may not have a clue

Old 08-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Coach Rick,
I agree. I lean toward swimming since they are better at swimming, and it's a team sport. For tennis, probably looking at some lessons to improve their skills if we have time. Right now I'm focus on finding a right group for them.
Will make appt to check out Nitro Swim even though it''s a bit farther, but have indoor pool.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin